Dgrin Mini-Challenge #281 - River Life

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited March 14, 2019 in The Dgrin Challenges

Dear Dgrinners, I feel very honoured to run my very first Mini-Challenge, which is mini #281 anno DGrin! I selected River Life to be this mini's topic. Unfortunately, I do not have access to my precious photo laptop since over two weeks now (it's on a repair odysee), so I cannot supply you with example images just yet. A picture says more than thousand words they say, but I will do my best to describe what I'd like to see in this thread. I will upload some example pictures too once my laptop is back in my hands.

This mini runs until Wednesday, March 27th, 22:00 CET

I always found rivers to be some of the most fascinating structures on this planet, as they are the lifeline for so many creatures by providing them with all necessities for life, be it direct or indirect. Many of mankind largest cities are built directly along rivers for centuries or even milleniums, and they are almost a guarantee for prospering life. Now by pictures of "River Life", I don't mean classical landscape shots of mere rivers. I rather mean pictures showing earthly creatures - be it humans, mammals, fishes, insects or birds - whose natural habitat is near, along, at or in rivers. Be it people fishing, driving a boat, doing their laundry, birds hunting, dogs taking a bath, cats roaming the shoreline - as long as they do it in, above or next to a river, it fits! The river itself should only be co-starring but the picture should leave no doubt that whatever is happening is happening in or at a river - so there should be some visibility of water and the shores of the river too.

I hope this description gives you enough of a hint for what kind of pictures I'm looking for.

UPDATE Mar. 14th - finally got my workhorse back, example pictures:

Cat roaming the shores of the Don river near Konstantinovsk, Russia

People bathing in Don river near Konstantinovsk, Russia, while a vessel is passing by

Man fishing in Don river near Semikarakorsk, Russia

Two men fishing in the Neva river in St. Peterburg, Russia

I'm curious about and eagerly awaiting creative approaches to this subject. Let them pictures coming!

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Great idea for a challenge - haven't seen this before.

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2019

Well, I'll dive into this one (pun intended). I have lots of river landscapes, but very few with other activity. I did find a few and hope they meet the requirements.

1- The American and Yuba rivers in the Sierra foothills provide great white-water rafting and kayaking. This is the South Yuba river.

2 - Smnall river in the Mariposa, Ca area provides playtime for calves.

3 - Egret in Colusa, Ca.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Awesome entries @Cavalier - these fit very well within the boundaries of this mini! Although for the third pic - which is btw a fantastic shot - one could argue that the scene might also have been taken at a lake as well.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

Wow Jo, three great shots!

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

This is a great theme!

1 Snake River at Shoshone Falls Idaho

2 Jordan River in Israel

3 Tarcoles River in Costa Rica

I'll jump in with a few photos, but because of upcoming travel committments please don't consider these as entries.

1) Sunday afternoon along the Wertach. The Romans founded Augsburg over 2000 years ago because of the location at the confluence of two rivers, the Wertach and the Lech. Both rivers flow through the town, and although they are too small for ship traffic (too many dams along the way!) they both provide the community with fantastic "Freizeitwert" (recreational value). This was taken on a typical good-weather Sunday afternoon - beer garden full and loads of folks underway.

2) The Dordogne, southwest France. OMG - when I persuaded my girlfriends to go canoeing on the Dordogne I knew we wouldn't be alone, but I had no idea it would be like rush hour on the I-95! Eeek.

3) Folk festival on the river Yonne in eastern Burgundy.

@JAG and @sarasphotos These are all great contributions to this mini!

@JAG That crocodile at the Tarcoles river looks like a true Tico - if not a little stoned :#

@sarasphotos , it's very sad that yours are non-entries. However, have fun travelling!

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

@kurzvorzwoelf , ha! I had to look up what a Tico was! Took a few minutes for me to get what you were talking about but indeed, I do think that crock might have had a little too much partying the night before! :D

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2019

Leiden, where the Stille Rijn splits into the Oude Rijn and the Nieuwe Rijn

The river Dommel, near Halder

Kayaking on the river Vecht through Utrecht

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • WildernessExclusivesWildernessExclusives Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2019

"Picnic at Devil's Elbow"
    Near Wanaka, NZ

"Cascade Contemplation (A Self-Portrait)"
    Indian Peaks Wilderness, Colorado

"Riverwalk Pair"
    Chicago, IL

Check out my page: Images, and photography/travel blog:wildernessexclusives.com

Very nIce entries, @pegelli and @WildernessExclusives !

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2019

There are two types of photos depicting river life. Photos of the river from land, and photos of the river from on the river. I have more from our boat on the water, but I do have a couple from land too.
    1. Crab fishermen on the Rappahannock (From the river)
    2. Santa Claus fishing on the Madison River in Yellowstone (from land)
    3. Women's crew on the Wilmington River (in Thunderbolt GA)

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Great theme for a mini! There are so many great images already. I have three great rivers within 20 minutes of my front door, so I picked one of each.

1. Sto-lo First Nations Members heading upriver to driftnet during the 2018 salmon season on the Fraser River

2. A tug and log boom clearing the Canadian Pacific rail bridge on the Harrison River

3. Fishing on the Chilliwack River

@grandmaR You are right about the two different perspectives on river life, thanks for entering your great pictures!

@DavidRGillespie , also thank you for providing us with these awesome entries from Canada!

• schmadschmad Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    1. Canoe Black Hawk Creek

2. Fly Fish on the Dam at Bennett Springs

3. Fly Fish Bennett Springs

Thank you @schmad for your great entries to this Mini!

There's still a little more than 1 week left for contributing to this Mini - keep on posting, people! :smiley:

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

1 Floating the Niangua

2 Still Floating, more traffic

3 Somewhere in Vermont

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins

These were taken less than 1 Mile from my house.

1. High and dry

1. Low and dry

1. Early morning

• StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2019

This is a fun topic! I've got a few old ones I'll share:

1. The Thames, London

2. Madison River, Yellowstone National Park

3. Stony Creek, outside Sequoia National Park

• AceRphAceRph Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2019
    1. On the Rhine

2. Kinderdijk

3. Cargo on Inle Lake, Myanmar

4. Hollow Legs, Hoi An, Vietnam

@lkbart , @GSPeP , @StueveShots and @AceRph - thanks for contributing all these wonderful images!

A little more than 3 days to go - although I already will have quite a hard job judging all the great pictures entered to this Mini: Keep them coming, guys!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23 Big grins

A Trickle of a waterfall is used as a backdrop for a creative Selfie using a Branch and my brothers flash unit

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited March 27, 2019

Just remembered a quick place to find some photos of river life.... Here are three taken in Masai Mara of zebra and wildebeest crossing the river in various places. Please do not consider these as entries though. I am still in the midst of too many commitments (travel, upcoming wedding for a daughter, etc.) Hope to get back into Dgrin more fully in July or August. Thanks.

1) Wildebeest Crossing (or recrossing)

2) Zebras crossing and stopping for a drink (I could watch zebras all day)

3) A Dusty View of Wildebeest Crossing

We have been able to visit Masai Mara twice. During our second visit, our guide had a hard time getting a good position overlooking the river. (This dusty view was our best view of the larger area for crossing.) So I have included two photos taken at other places along the river.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@sapphire73 said:

I love this!

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

@denisegoldberg said:

@sapphire73 said:

I love this!

Thank you, Denise!

This mini is closed now! Thanks everyone for your great contributions!

Unfortunately, I am heavily busy with work and also with moving my home this week, so please forgive me and expect the results for this Mini by Friday. At so many participants, I'll have some work to do :smile:

Sorry for the delay!