500ws battery powered monolights: S1-Interfit vs Impact Cruiser

vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins

These come with a remote and at this price point.

Both will do TLL, HS, HSS but with their remotes.

Anyone have any thoughts about these lights or suggest a similar product and price point?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Directly comparing specifications at B&H https://bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Impact_Cruiser_vs_Interfit_S1/BHitems/1318464-REG_1191169-REG

... it looks like they are awfully similar including customer satisfaction, but the Impact Cruiser costs about 20% less and includes a 7 inch bowl reflector. Then again, the Interfit S1 appears to have an optional 1/250th sync which might have applications. Batteries for the Impact Cruiser are also a bit cheaper.

Not enough information on either unit to be sure of channels and groups options. You might want to call or email B&H to have them elucidate.

It appears that both lights may have some restrictions used with Sony cameras.

You need the custom controller (Canon, Nikon, or Sony compatible variants) and neither Impact Cruiser nor Interfit S1 seems to offer host camera trigger compatibility (as you seem to indicate in your comment).

Competing products include the Profoto B1X 500 AirTTL, but you might have to sell both kidneys to afford one. (Very nice lights for those who can justify the cost.)

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • vdotmatrixvdotmatrix Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins

Hi Ziggy, The cruiser includes the remote. I shoot canon so if this light will just work, then I could get away with a selfcaontained 500ws portable location mono... I play it safe by shooting manual and at 1/125th but i really want a light to be able to stop action with HS or HSS..... profoto would be sweet huh!!! thanks for your insight

I have been looking around for more info. These 2 lights we have compared are nearly identical....I am looking for a product that will stop honey bees in flight as in HS or HSS....I read a few complaints about HSS with the S1. It seems to me like the IMpact cruiser has been dscontinued since it no longer appears on their website and B7H is selling it for a song....Not quite sold on Interfit for some reason........still looking.. Thanks

edited March 26, 2019

For stopping honey bee and humming bird motion you need an extremely fast (short duration) flash duration. Many folks still use bunches of old manual speedlites/speedlights with reduced output settings, which reduces their flash duration, and set the camera to normal flash sync speed, moderating ambient light by any means possible. (Either shade the scene with a suitable scrim or lighting flag, or use ND filter and more flashes.)

Recipe for a Photograph #2: Bee in Flight

Multiple Flash Hummingbird Photography

ziggy53

I was wrong about impact d/c the cruiser...their website says $1200 but very much cheaper at b&h. I dont like this discrepancy and cant fnd a whole lot of folks who have purchased this light. I am looking more and more at the godox ad600pro or the non pro model. It seems to be rebranded under at least 2 other names. Not available through b&h right now.

I decided to go with Godox. I am going to outfit myself with a ad600pro and ad200 with some accesories....cstand, another octobox ( good price on octa with grid).

The Godox AD____ series lights look very nice, but I don't think that they are the best choice for bees in flight, if that's your intended purpose. (See my response above, or click: https://dgrin.com/discussion/comment/2093297/#Comment_2093297)

ziggy53