Pa'ako Beach under the stars

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited March 26, 2019 in Landscapes

Last night was a tough one for astro work, with hazy skies, but I couldn't stand it any longer. I haven't done an astro shot in a while now, and when I realized the clouds were gone & moon was hiding, it was a code green.

Shot on Sony a7R3 + 16-35 f/2.8 G-Master. First image was shot @ ISO 2500, second was shot @ ISO 10,000. A shot at ISO 800 would've produced the same amount of noise as the ISO 10,000 image, but the signal to noise ratio wasn't working out to bring up the shadows.

The first image was a 25sec exposure, second was 20sec. - prolly a little short for a full frame + 16mm, but I wanted to keep the stars a little sharper than I could get with a 30sec exposure. Although another 10sec would've given me a good bit more data in the shadow areas, and prolly less overall noise from post process. I used some NR layering, and had the in camera LENR turned on. Some call that a star eater, but as you can see in the image, not really so much.

On the next trip out, I'll try the a73 (24mp counterpart to the a7R3). It should produce a cleaner image, since it's half the megapixels, so less noise...at least that's what the math science of it all tells me. lol

Enjoy!

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Milky Way goodness with Bioluminescence! How cool is that!? B)

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Lovely captures JBR!

• CountrylovingmammaCountrylovingmamma Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins

Very Nice images! The Night sky fascinates me so very much.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2019

I love these, JonaBeth. I do have a suggestion for #1, maybe #2 as well. I realize that they may help " set the stage " for being a beach shot, but I would eliminate the lighted palms. They are a major distraction, to me, and they don't really carry their weight. That being said, however, your personal development in working with creative lighting techniques is quite impressive. Kudos.

Tom

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@kdog said:
    Milky Way goodness with Bioluminescence! How cool is that!?

Right?! It was awesome to watch it slosh around out there, wasn't sure if it would show up in the images.

@Stumblebum said:
    Lovely captures JBR!

Mahalo Taz!

@Countrylovingmamma said:
    Very Nice images! The Night sky fascinates me so very much.

I'm constantly blown away by what's actually out there, as opposed to what our eyes can see unassisted. It's good to feel small, I think.

@black mamba said:
    I love these, JonaBeth. I do have a suggestion for #1, maybe #2 as well. I realize that they may help " set the stage " for being a beach shot, but I would eliminate the lighted palms. They are a major distraction, to me, and they don't really carry their weight. That being said, however, your personal development in working with creative lighting techniques is quite impressive. Kudos.

Tom

Mahalo for the feedback, Tom! I'll admit, those lights were a surprise to me upon arrival. I don't recall ever seeing them before, and if I could get by with smashing them to bits, I would. Bright lights on the shoreline not only make for awful imagery in astro work, but they cause serious problems for turtles. I'm already planning to call DLNR today to file a complaint, but as with most things around Maui, money wins often.