Newbie - Critique me

CountrylovingmammaCountrylovingmamma Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited March 26, 2019 in Wildlife

Hello, I Have been into Photography for many years and I have been practicing photography on and off for as many years but really not all that seriously till I got my DSLR about 7 years ago. Wild life and landscapes in black and white are my favorite images to capture, but I do like to dable with other subjects as well.
I would love some CC on a few of my favorite images. I have tried to include as much Image info I can think of to include not sure if it will help or not. Each image has had some editing done to it but I have attempted to no do too much to them.

Buffalo at Custer state park -
Taken with my Nikon D3100 and Tamron 70 - 300mm lens, ISO 100, Focal length 155 mm, Aperture f/7.1, Shutter speed 1/160 sec, JPG image

Moose -
Taken with my Nikon D3100 and Tamron 70 - 300mm lens, File Raw image, ISO 800, Focal length 290 mm, Aperture f/5.6, Shutter speed 1/50 sec

Flamingos - at the Denver Zoo
Taken with my Nikon D3100 & Tamron 70 - 300mm lens, File jpg image, ISO 1600, Focal length 290 mm, Aperture f/5.6, Shutter speed 1/1000 sec

Elk - on my property earlier this month
Taken with my Nikon D3100 & Tamron 70 - 300mm lens, File jpg image, ISO 320, Focal length 290 mm, Aperture f/7.1, Shutter speed 1/2000 sec

Thank you all for taking a look.

You can view more of my images @ https://meghannbothe.smugmug.com/

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

First two images are pretty nice! The last two are bit busy.

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins

I like #1 and #3 here.

1 is a really nice B&W conversion. My big issue is that you cut off their feet. I would prefer the composition include the feet on that one.

3 is a bit busy, but is nicely exposed and has a smooth, almost dreamy, look that I really appreciate.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

1 and 3 for me. I really like 1, however, in addition to the feet comment, I think it might be over sharpened, I can see artifacts on the out of focus calf on the right.

• MaitryMaitry Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    The 3rd one is so attractive. After that, I liked the first one! You should have tried something different with the last shot!
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins

I liked #1 and #3. Although #1 looks to be a bit noisy (film grain) in my opinion. However it does remind me of the old B&W photo's. I really like the softness of #3. #4, the rock is out of focus, and I understand you were photographing the Elk. Hope this will help you.

Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2019

Welcome, I like 1 and 3, however I think 1 is a bit over processed, too sharp perhaps. I agree with the comment above about the not capturing the feet, a potential solution is to crop it even further up to the "knee" (the carpal joint).

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Good work..nice images.

I would agree with those that have commented regarding the "feet" for image #1. However, overall I really like the BW conversion, makes for a very interesting picture.

The flamingos take #1 for me. Good composition and color. Possibly a slight crop off the top, to eliminate some of the bare foliage, might make for a cleaner image.

Oh BTW "elk on your property..." I need to find better a better backyard!!

Look forward to seeing more of your work.