Options

Mini-Challenge #283 Abstract ICM and/or Multiple Exposures

DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

I am hoping this one will be fun for everyone and perhaps stimulate your creativity. Creating abstract images using "Intentional Camera Movement" (ICM) and/or multiple exposures (in-camera and post-production) is an area of photography I have recently started to explore, and I am finding it challenging and stimulating to intentionally do things that create "sideways" looks at the reality captured by cameras. Your abstracts can be created with either ICM or multiple exposure, or both, and the multiple exposures can be created using simple layering in a program such as Photoshop. However, I am NOT looking for heavily photo-shopped images where layer masks have been applied to insert new objects or distort reality (i.e., transform, liquify or distortion filters). Please tell us something about how you created the image. Some examples and discussion below. Rules can be found at this link: https://dgrin.com/discussion/248032/mini-challenge-un-official-rules AND please keep in mind that if your image is selected as the winner, you have the responsibility to create the next challenge.

This challenge will run from 17 April 2019 to 8 May, 2019 at 12 PM Vancouver time (which is -8 UTC)

1. A simple ICM abstract using a 1/6 s exposure and a downward ICM

1. A landscape created with a triple exposure showing two views of the mountains above me, and the pond at my feet

1. A portrait created with a double exposure. I am finding this kind of work requires an overexposed first image (the person) and a darker second exposure

1. A double exposure created in Photoshop. I photographed the daffodils as a sharp image and an out-of-focus image, then combined them later. I simply used one of the blend modes and adjusted the opacity until I was happy.

1. an Echevaria flower, in triple exposure, with the camera rotated. The nice thing about doing this in camera is the the results tend to surprise and delight.

1. Finally, a triple exposure with ICM at 1/6 sec. Bonus points if you can guess the subject.

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 19, 2019

This should be a very interesting round David! Here are my 3.

1 Backyard pond spinning(zoomed lens)

2 Two image blend (post processing blend of two images)

3 Double take (an actual double exposure that happened in camera settings by mistake. Funny expressions come from an exercise I do with kids when I am about to take their pictures, I tell them to give me different expressions, this one was anger, in order to relax them and hopefully I get genuine smiles during the shoot. This was when I was doing a lighting check.) I might change any of these image out for others or if I get the time to do an updated shoot to get fresh images.

• Options

Thanks for starting us off Joyce @JAG. I love the double expressions in the third image.

• Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2019

This is a great challenge! I have these older shots for now, but maybe I'll work on some new ones to substitute for these:

1. Barrel Racer (From a high school equestrian team competition--This freshman on my son's team came just shy of qualifying for state. She was absolutely fearless riding a huge rocket of a horse. She also happened, at the time, to be among the top ten BMX riders in the country, in her age group. I shot this on a classic 5D on a tripod with a long lens, and then simply layered the photos in PS 3-something. I did have to do some "erasing" of parts of the top layers to reveal the full figures of the horse and rider, but no other technique was used.)

2. Barrel Racer 2 (Same technique as stated above, except that I had to pan the camera on the tripod with the movement. It took me quite a few attempts to make this work.)

3. Sagebrush in Bloom (Long exposure with a swirling motion)

• Options

Thanks for adding to the set @StueveShots (Heather, Jonathan). Your third shot is exactly what I am looking for and is a lovely abstract in blue and gold. Although the first two are really lovely, they are somewhat off the theme I am trying to get, which is more of an abstraction in the sense of Jackson Pollock or Claude Monet's later works.

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

Interesting challenge and some great shots already posted. I have a couple that may qualify for the mini.

Small snow-melt waterfall on Old Highway 140 near Cisco Grove, Ca. Lots of algae on the rocks creating a colorful waterfall. Downward motion to create effect.

Fire dancer - I stayed still with a longer exposure than optimal resulting in blurred movement of dancer and a trail of her fire.

• Options

Thanks Jo @Cavalier, both shots are lovely, and very much in the theme. It is really interesting how the downward motion in the waterfall shot resulted in some fairly sharp sections of water.

• Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins

Interesting challenge, haven't tried double exposures or stacking images, but found a few where (parts of) the camera were moving.

Zoom during exposure

Panning

Moving out of a wormhole

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2019

What a great and fun theme Dave! Lots of really cool shots already!

1. Loosed Marbles - one of my first attempts at a multi-exposure at a dance performance - hand held, in camera triple exposure

2. Falling Up - camera movement

3. Dante's Nightmare - from a performance this past weekend - manual double exposure (the in-camera exposure used 3 shots & was too busy, but my 5D4 saves each shot also, so I was able to manually put two of them together for a better outcome)

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options

Thanks for adding to the set Pieter @pegelli and Lillian @llkbart . Great images.

• Options

Five days left but there is still lots of time to get some shots in.

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator

Some lovely images here! I am adding a few more to the collection but please don't consider these as entries as I will be overseas again soon. Thanks!

1) Pennypack Watershed Woodland 1

2) Pennypack Watershed Woodland 2

3) Pennypack Watershed Woodland 3

• Options
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins

eclipse hand held ,over 70 , got a tripod ,then only 1 moon a shot

Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins

I've tried this kind of thing in the past, but the only one that I've ever gotten that was any good was black and white print film taken c 1984 and I can't find the print. Otherwise all I have are abstract lights

And this kind of optical illusion shot of my grandson running track

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins

The only shot I could find is this one. It's more of accidental than on purpose though. The shutter got hung up and lagged a bit (never had done it before and never did it after), and this was the result. I was going to take a pic of the tunnel we were about to go through. I kind of wish the hat weren't on the dash, but I still thought the shot was pretty cool. This was taken in Smoky Mountains National Park.

Sherry

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2019

I just saw this and may have missed the deadline--not sure which time zone is Vancouver. Here are some of my favorites. If I am too late I hope you enjoy them anyway!

Koi Dance - shot at the Japanese Tea Garden in San Antonio

Harmony - always looking for new ways to present Texas Live Oaks; this is part of my collection I call "tree painting"

Spirit of Winter - shot with a Lensbaby, not my usual lens for a landscape

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

Well, I got distracted, so the competition is now closed. I will get the results posted in 24 h or so. Granddaughters first!

Thanks for sliding in at the last minute @jwear, @grandmaR, @slpollett and @redleash . We will call the time zone close enough.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Yes, granddaughters first! We are expecting our first one in two weeks!!

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com