EOS R vs Nikon z6

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins

Hi, My 5dmk2 is finally giving up and i have to get rid of it and make room for EOS R. I wonder if nikon Z6 noise and DR performance is way ahead of canon EOS R which justifies selling all my canon lenses and accessories.
I saw ISO and DR tests on different websites while ISO performance looks similar to my eyes, DR looks better on z6 at extreme not sure if it makes difference in real life.

What i like about canon is ability to use my existing lenses with superb autofocus along with full articulating LCD.
What i like about Nikon is IBIS

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I am a long time Canon shooter, Awais, and I have been waiting to hear about a Canon mirrorless pro body with IBIS also - The rumors I see on the web lead me to believe that it should debut yet this year. Canon has been introducing a lot of new very lovely glass for the Canon R system, so there seems be no doubt that more R bodies with more Pro features are in the pipeline. I have NO true knowledge or awareness of any of this, but it just seems pretty obvious to me, with all the new glass they are introducing for the R system.

Like you I have been buried in suggestions to switch to Sony or to Nikon or whatever, but I and my wife have major investment EOS glass that works quite nicely, and I find I can create an occasional satisfactory image with the Canon bodies I presently own - indeed I just purchased an 80D for a walk around body and I like it quite a bit which I already knew as I liked the 70D I traded in for it.

I am aware of the dynamic range discussions and the larger file sizes available with the Sony sensors, but I don't need, nor really want, 40+MPixle files and if I really did I might have considered the Canon 5DS R . I am perfectly content with a 5DMk IV or my 7D Mk II for my uses.

So, I would try to hang in there and wait, but if not, the Canon's EOS R body is pretty nice from the folks who use it. No, it does not have IBIS, but is that a deal breaker? - only you can answer that. One other feature I like about the Canon R and Rp bodies are that they continue to use Canon's radio controlled flash system.

I know everyone is predicting the death of the SLR, but I am pretty old school, and am not sure I truly believe it yet, especially for shooting wildlife in low light with long glass. Time will tell, I guess. And yes, I actually have used the Sony A9 with the Sony 100-400.

Anyway, I am waiting to hear an announcement of a Canon R Pro body with IBIS yet this year and I will jump on that at that time if it is affordable.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator

The Canon 5D Mark IV is an extremely competent stills body that also has a very nice video capability. Compared to the 5D Mark II you have, the Mark IV AF is a level of magnitude better. Plus Dual-Pixel AF in video and live-view is fast and accurate as well. Add a flash with AF-Assist capabilities and you can literally instantly autofocus a freshly painted plain wall in complete darkness. (You can also just use a wireless flash transmitter which has AF-Assist if you don't need/want a flash on camera.) Competent AF is my number one concern for any sort of candid/journalistic photography, and the Mark IV has that covered.

Basically, the 5D Mark IV would preserve every lens and accessory you already have for the Mark II, but every aspect of image capture is faster and more reliable on the Mark IV.

The touch-screen interface is a real blessing in low-light on the Mark IV, and you can change settings quickly and painlessly, similar to the EOS R, but the Mark IV still has a joystick control option I very much appreciate.

Battery life is also much better for normal still photography on the Mark IV, compared to the EOS R. Much, much better.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins

I am in exactly the same boat, with the same camera.

To my mind the R isn't very attractive at the moment- resolution is better than the 5d mkii (50% more, which I suppose is better), but seems pretty much equal to the 5d mk iv- at least on the spec sheet, I don't know how the "look" of it is different. I suspect that the EOS R is more or less a mirrorless version of the 5d mk iv.

The main advantages of the EOS R is that you can use the RF mount glass with it. Which is supposed to be better, although when comparing the RF 28-70 f2.0 with the EF 24-70 f2.8, I suspect that the quality difference is probably not visible without a loupe. (Suspect, I haven't shot this lens). I more than suspect that I am not going to take much better pics with the 28-70 than the 24-70, although others may. The thing is, a new body and the new RF lens are going to set me back 5,000 eurs or so. That's a lot of cash. I really can't justify that at the moment. So I'd have a new body shooting my current line up of EF lenses. I'm not sure how that leaves me better off than just using a 5d mk iv. Although the other advantage is that I can mount ALL my m42 glass, of which I have a reasonable set, on the R, whereas on the 5d series you have mirror fouling issues. I currently use these on my Fuji which is my lightweight walking about screwing around camera. I'd love my 30mm Lydith to be 30mm, however, instead of 45.

The main drawback of NOT getting the EOS R is the ugly truth unadmitted by Canon that the EF line is set to shuffle off this mortal coil. There is no way they can support 3 lens mount systems (EF/EF-S, M, and EF R) in the long term. Frankly, I think supporting 2 is a bad idea, especially given the radical shrinkage in the camera market that has happened, and is yet to come.

So any EF glass you buy now will likely be obsolete sooner rather than later.

It's a very confusing time to have a 5d mk ii.

Cave ab homine unius libri
    edited April 26, 2019

To anyone with a Canon 5D Mark II, it's still a very capable and viable camera in 2019. I am keeping my copy of that camera until it fails for whatever reason. Used copies in good condition are regularly available, and pretty reasonable in cost.

If you have EF glass that you like, but you want to upgrade/replace the camera and stay with a dSLR, both the Canon 5D Mark III (used) and the Canon Mark IV (used and new) are available and they both have benefits above the Mark II. (You won't regret the upgrade.)

The Canon 5D Mark IV is still, and to this day, a wonderful all-rounder stills camera. The AF is swift and accurate, and combination of touch-screen and joystick make AF point and AF region selection effortless.

ziggy53
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2019

@Awais Yaqub said:
    Hi, My 5dmk2 is finally giving up and i have to get rid of it and make room for EOS R. I wonder if nikon Z6 noise and DR performance is way ahead of canon EOS R which justifies selling all my canon lenses and accessories.
    I saw ISO and DR tests on different websites while ISO performance looks similar to my eyes, DR looks better on z6 at extreme not sure if it makes difference in real life.

What i like about canon is ability to use my existing lenses with superb autofocus along with full articulating LCD.
    What i like about Nikon is IBIS

After using the older Canon M5 mirrorless for a couple of years I wouldn't go back to a DSLR, If the M5 ever quits I'll look at full frame mirrorless like the Canon RP. You can easily use EF and EFS lenses with an adapter.
    The large NY online camera retailers have a 30 day return policy - makes it easy to evaluate before committing

flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins

Thanks guys, just pulled the trigger on EOS-R, will receive in few days. I liked 5dmkIV but tilting screen was something i missed in 5d2, In Pakistan we don't have exchange policies or amazing offers but i got bundle deal of adapter and eos R body for around 1800USD.

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

@Awais Yaqub said:
    ... i got bundle deal of adapter and eos R body for around 1800USD.

$1800USD for the lens adapter plus "R" body is an awesome price!

ziggy53

Just received the body and tried sigma 50mm 1.4 art. I am surprised how useful this lens has become, tack sharp focus on eyes shot after shot under indoor living room light. I have to upgrade the firmware and review RAW files yet, so far very pleasing experience with all the new technology.

Touch Bar is not an issue rather i found it useful, touch pad focus is such a wonderful option i think that alone justifies the upgrade from 5D. Small body is reasonably designed to hold it with ease coupled with big lens such as 70-200 f2.8. However will take few days to have full grip on operations.

My Gallery

Great news, Awais! Glad to hear it's working well for you. Then again, you made amazing images with the Canon 5D Mark II, which can be a beast to master.

ziggy53
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins

I am also in same boat. Two 5d mkii bodies, a lifetime collection of glass, but I'm getting old and this stuff is getting heavier by the minute. I'm considering the R, or jumping ship altogether. Following. Any updates, Awais?

@sara505 said:
    I am also in same boat. Two 5d mkii bodies, a lifetime collection of glass, but I'm getting old and this stuff is getting heavier by the minute. I'm considering the R, or jumping ship altogether. Following. Any updates, Awais?

Sara i am extremely happy with the move.
    1. Excellent focus and eye auto-focus capability (even further improvement coming with new firmware), my sigma 50mm ART has become usable and a reliable lens.
    2. Excellent image quality and soocs, much better DR and noise control than 5DmkII
    3. Some serious customization! every button can be customized according to user preference
    4. full tilt and swivel LCD i needed that hence dropped 5dmk iv from my shortlist
    5. Extra resolution is useful for crops and fixing image in post
    6. Sensor is not exposed when changing lens
    7. files are juicy and joy to edit in post

Rooms of improvement in R:
    1. Buttons and overall ruggedness of pro body is something i am missing

Why i chose R over Sony and Nikon (after serious consideration of changing system)
    1. i can't imagine shooting with such a body of Sony A7iii whole day long, buttons and body just don't feel good in hands.
    2. Nikon z6 feels much better than sony in hands but R was the best
    3. No logical justification to move between system considering my shooting frequency and style
    4. Canon Lenses and accessories prices are quite reasonable, IMHO quality of lens is first thing to make the difference for most viewers, i had original battery from 5DmkII which works in R.

While i was comparing Z6 and Sony A7III, i didn't find anything significant to justify changing whole system and wait for lens collection to grow, i just got the R and went to some exciting places with my existing lenses and enjoyed shooting right away.

Here is blog i made with high res photos of peacock
    https://awais.smugmug.com/Blogs/Canon-EOS-R-Review-and-Test

Some of my photos with R (imagine skipping shots due to shortage of lenses, i f i had changed the system)

Canon 70-200 IS ii

Sigma 50mm Art

Canon 70-200 IS ii

Floor hugging perspective thank to Tilt (17-40 f4L)

Here is click shot with B+W ND 10 filter, i think it is due to R's improved auto white balance which minimize color casts,

While in mexico i shot several photos of performer, and not a single missed focus, this was my biggest issue with 5DmkII

My Gallery

Ok, I'm in the camera store. Do you want to talk me off the ledge?

Too late! I bought it. Fell in love.

All the best! @sara505

My Gallery

So, I bought it the other day in Boston, then drove four hours up to Maine listening to youtube reviews of the EOS R all the way. People either love it or hate it. So far, I love it. The only fly in the ointment so far is not being able to see thumbnail previews when importing into Bridge. But wow - the ergonomics alone are to die for. What a comfortable little camera to hold. The menu and adjustment buttons will take some getting used to but they are not terribly unlike the Canons I've been using for years. I love the viewfinder WYSIWYG - love it. So much more.

@sara505 said:
    So, I bought it the other day in Boston, then drove four hours up to Maine listening to youtube reviews of the EOS R all the way. People either love it or hate it. So far, I love it. The only fly in the ointment so far is not being able to see thumbnail previews when importing into Bridge. But wow - the ergonomics alone are to die for. What a comfortable little camera to hold. The menu and adjustment buttons will take some getting used to but they are not terribly unlike the Canons I've been using for years. I love the viewfinder WYSIWYG - love it. So much more.

i use EOS utility to transfer images, it shows full screen previews while downloading

My Gallery

Sara and Awais, I am joining the party - B&H says my EOS R order should arrive Monday.

I only ordered two RF lenses - the EOS RF 35 f1.8 Macro STM and the Venus Optics RF mount 15mm f 2.0 FE Zero-D non AF lens . I will also carry a standard EOS EF 24-105 f4, and an EOS EF 70-200 F4 IS L.

I ordered the adapter with the 5-9 stop variable ND in the adapter as well as the standard empty barrel adapter, RRS L bracket ( although I may decide not to use it ) and a remote release for the R body.

I'll let you know what I think next week. I plan to use the body for travel, night and astro photography, as well as some landscape and architectural studies . I think it will work well on the street too, perhaps. Just not great for wildlife and birds - we'll see!

great @pathfinder will love to see your views and photos

My Gallery

The body showed up this afternoon - I downloaded the firmware v1.4 update and installed that without issue.
    Still waiting on a native RF lens to show up, my native EF lenses seem to work fine. I ordered the 35 and the 24-240 for now.

I've had mine for about 3 weeks now and I have not quite decided whether I love it or hate it. Some days it's a mixture of both. I did not get the fancy adapter, just the simple one, and I am using my existing Canon lenses, mainly the 70 - 200, the 24 - 70, and the 50 1.4. the main thing for me has been to acclimate myself to new locations of buttons and dials. Also, it drives me crazy that I can't just set a central focal point and have it stay there permanently, or until I decide to change it. It may be due to the fact that I leave the LCD open in the back and my nose or something may touch it and move the focal point, I'm not sure, but I am constantly having to reset it back to the center. I'm also not a hundred percent sure how I feel about looking through the electronic viewfinder versus glass. While I love the WYSIWYG factor, the scene in the electronic viewfinder has a rather odd appearance. Also, I'm a bit confused about the red square that appears on my image when I'm reviewing them. I assumed that that square shows where I had focused, but that is not in fact the case. Even if I locked my focus and recompose, the red square appears in the location where I have moved the green square, not on the focal point - and yes, my focal point is in focus, not where the red square is. So maybe I don't understand want the red square is for? All of the above being said, I did a family photo shoot yesterday and used both EOS r and my 5D Mark II and there is no comparison between the images. The images from the EOS r are out of this world. So I will just keep plugging away. As with everything new, the main thing is to put the time in and to train your eyes and your hands to find the controls you need when you need them. I'm on a bit of a learning curve these days having recently left Lightroom and switched over to Bridge and ACR - another story for another day and another forum - anyway, I'm pretty sure new stuff is good for the brain so I'll just leave it at that.

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins

I was kinda torn on the XT3 and the Canon R, considering I have been shooting Canon since I started shooting. The thing is that my daily driver is the Fuji GFX 50s, which is my workhorse camera. But I wanted something lighter. Having both the GFX and 5D4, I wasn't saving anything in terms of weight for a walk around. I am glad you got the R, Awais! The internet, for the most part, has been hating on that camera cause it isn't a Ferrari of cameras. I was interested in the R cause of the RF mounth. But, at the end of the day, the lenses for the R and the R itself meant I wouldn't be saving in weight like i did with the fuji xt3.

Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited December 7, 2019

Sara I just spent 15 days in Scotland using a 5D Mk IV, and EOS R, and an 80D. I had very little previous experience with the EOS R and so I was frustrated at times trying to sort out the focusing modes, despite having used a 1DX, 1DX Mk II and. 5D Mk IV for over a decades worth of use. The 5D Mk IV just seemed to handle so much faster. BUT. when I had the time to sort out the EOS R, I really did like the moveable LCD, and the files respond very nicely in LR. One of the lenses I used a fair bit on the EOS R was the Laowa Venus Zero-D Optic D-Dreamer 15mm f2.0 mechanical lens - what a sweet combination.

The depth of field on the 15mm lens was so great that you could just focus it once and leave it there - the red fringing in the view finder would show you the areas in focus. Very sharp and light and easy to handle too.

So I don't like the EOS R for fast action, but for slow methodical work I really do like it. I will continue to try to learn it better and handle it faster.

The 24-240 lens is as Kelby described it - a bit of CA when looking through the viewfinder, but like a lot of modern lenses, fully color corrected with the Lens Profile in LR - images are sharp and clear - but it is a typical variable zoom - slow at the long end. And I wish it came with a lens hood. I use a flexible rubber hood that can be extended at the long end, and folded back when shooting wide. I haven't used my EOS 24-105 on an adapter, but my spouse did, and she loves the camera even more than me...

Pathfinder - thank you. Yes, I agree. For action shots the EOS R is a bit cumbersome (I am slowly getting used to, and even appreciating the way the just-shot image lingers between shots), but for slower, deliberate shots, it is excellent. I find that I am reaching for my MK II less and less. And yes, navigating between AF modes and drives is taking some time to learn, but I am slowly getting it. There's a lot, still, to learn. I haven't had the opportunity to use any of the new lenses, as yet.

PS - headed back over to Ireland next week, fiddle in one hand, camera(s) in the other. I do a lot of dark pub shooting, and so far, the low-light capabilities, along with the tilted touch screen focusing/shooting I have found to be a real boon.

edited November 14, 2019

The ability to see a correctly exposed image in the LCD, in very dark environs, like a pub, is a great feature.

It will be even better when Canon gives us an R body with real IBIS. Still waiting for that, drat!

Here's lens you might like for shooting in dark performance venues - found on the B&H site

Mitakon Zhongyi Speedmaster 50mm f/0.95 III Lens for Canon RF

@pathfinder said:
    The ability to see a correctly exposed image in the LCD, in very dark environs, like a pub, is a great feature.

It will be even better when Canon gives us an R body with real IBIS. Still waiting for that, drat!

Here's lens you might like for shooting in dark performance venues - found on the B&H site

Mitakon Zhongyi Speedmaster 50mm f/0.95 III Lens for Canon RF

That's gorgeous (and you are evil :D ).

(the second two were shot with my trusty 50/1.4.; first one with 24-70)

edited November 14, 2019

Here's a review of the Mitakon - I began watching with a lot of doubts, having never heard of Mitakon, but after watching the video I am trying to convince myself I need that lens too, Sara.

I feel your pain 😱. It looks like just the thing for shooting in a pub during a musical performance....

https://youtu.be/iCS_m1mdJPA