Water, Water Everywhere - Literally

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Just when I was getting back to DGrin and anxious to shoot an excellent wildflower season . . . this happened: On Mar 11, washing machine hose connector blew and flooded half the downstairs. Mitigation company arrived in two hours and started drying out--upstairs was fine, kitchen was fine, pets were fine, so we could live in the house while repairs were made. Exactly 48 hours later the hot water heater (in the attic thanks to some ridiculous builders here) burst and flooded one of our newly remodeled bathrooms, most of the upstairs and part of the first floor that was already drying out. Mitigation company again arrived in two hours. (I have known the owner for years so did not hesitate to call him at 0630!) We were suddenly homeless. After living for a week with destruction and 26 industrial fans blowing non-stop we found a rental for us and our pets, thanks to realtor friends. Movers came and emptied the entire house. Every inch of wood floor on both floors was ripped out, sheet rock cut out in walls and ceilings and the whole house is being repainted. Fortunately . . . we have great insurance, we lost nothing but a rug, all our pets survived and have settled in to their new, albeit temporary, home. The dogs did wonder why they were walking around in water when the first incident happened!

(On the bright side: I was able to escape to Maine for a week to enjoy the opening of the 2019 Maine Photography Show. As some of you may remember, I asked for critiques on my submissions. I was selected to exhibit in the show and my image is now on display at the Boothbay Regional Arts Foundation Gallery. Our DGrin friend, Knapp Hudson, won Honorable Mention for his great IR shot of Monument Valley!)

These aren't the types of images I like to show you, but here are a few recent ones:

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

Ouch Lauren!

I've had leak damage before but that was from snow on the roof and it didn't involve the volumes of water that you saw. I hope your rebuilding goes well.

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Thanks, Denise. We've had leaks in this house also, but nothing like this. It is a rather stressful experience!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Gosh, Lauren, my heart goes out to you. Having endured rough treatment by hurricane Irma last year ( two cars and garage completely destroyed ) I have the utmost empathy for folks who have to deal with such circumatances.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Thanks, Tom. There are blessings in this experience, as pointed out above. No injuries and nothing lost but structural things that can be replaced. I didn't realize you'd lost both cars last year--your "new" truck?

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Sorry to hear Lauren, I wish you the best of luck.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2019

@redleash said:
    Thanks, Tom. There are blessings in this experience, as pointed out above. No injuries and nothing lost but structural things that can be replaced. I didn't realize you'd lost both cars last year--your "new" truck?

Fortunately, Lauren, the other vehicles at the other end of the house in another garage were spared. Darlene lost her daily driver and I lost my highly modified Golf R. Losing the Golf R really stung. It had recently undergone another round of performance upgrades ( putting out slightly over 400 HP ) and it is sorely missed. Darlene says that I ( at 77 years old ) might want to quit fooling with hot cars. I say phooy on that. I'm already on the hunt.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Thanks, Cristobal!

Tom, I didn't know a Golf could ever be considered a hot car! Seriously, I am sorry you lost your favorite vehicle. Get Darlene her own new hot car and you'll both be in great shape. :smile:

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com