Options

Princess on the Water

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

People visit this island from all over the world, flying, floating, however they can get here. The cruise ships not only bring interesting people and increased revenue, but they also create interesting photo opportunities now and then!

This Princess line member was parked about a mile offshore last week, in such a way to allow for a nice west Maui mountains backdrop. I can rarely keep from whipping out some sort of camera whenever a large vessel sails into the shallows of Maui, and this day was perfect for a little bit of aerial work. Barely any wind, vis for over 10mi, plenty of lighting on the drone for a 1mi send....magic!

Anyhow, here's one of my favs from the flight, thought I'd share. Enjoy!

Comments

• Options
    OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

Perfect in every way, Nothing else to say by Beautifully captured.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Great shot. When I enlarge it, it becomes super great. The ship is really impactful and the background with the clouds hanging in the valleys just jumps out at you. You ought to sell that one to the Princes line.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Great POV, the blue in water doesn't quiet feel right....like inik.....

• Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@OrvSal said:
    Perfect in every way, Nothing else to say by Beautifully captured.

Mahalo my friend!

@black mamba said:
    Great shot. When I enlarge it, it becomes super great. The ship is really impactful and the background with the clouds hanging in the valleys just jumps out at you. You ought to sell that one to the Princes line.

I'm so glad you took the time to enlarge the image. This one is a pano merge, constructed of 9 individual telephoto shots, blended for a wide angle view. I definitely intend to solicit a licensing deal with Princess on this and a few others I have. Let's see what they say!

@Stumblebum said:
    Great POV, the blue in water doesn't quiet feel right....like inik.....

Thanks Taz! That blue has driven me bonkers ever since I worked this image, and even the raw files look like ink. I think it's just the way the CP filtered the overhead light to get such dark deep tones, losing a little of the translucent feeling. Here's another merged image with the same water & lighting. Very dark out there in the deep.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Another nice one! Yeah shooting at daytime is real pain in the butt.....I know because I shot whales with that.......it was struggle...... below are all my settings in LR from similar light....

(with all sat, vibrance, split toning etc. ZEROED out - looks INKISH)

(pull back on blue sat....the sky can be recovered with darkening grad filter if needed

(Rest of my settings which I basically leave alone for most anything except minor tweaks like if it was dark then blacks will be + 38 etc.)

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2019

The sky really helps the BG in no 1.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • Options
    WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

That opening shot really is stunning. Well done.