Options

Lifetime membership?

silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
edited December 8, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Any chance Smugmug might offer a lifetime membership, like Phanfare (http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/12/06/phanfare/index.php?lsrc=mwrss)?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    silica wrote:
    Any chance Smugmug might offer a lifetime membership, like Phanfare (http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/12/06/phanfare/index.php?lsrc=mwrss)?

Hi Silica,

Thanks for asking. We don't have any current plans to offer such subscription offerings.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    That's an advantage that has got my brother to sign up for them. Wonder how the smugmug/phanfare compare?
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2005
    You can see phanfare's site for what they offer, but here's one view:

reach

pageviews

Info from www.alexa.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    That's an advantage that has got my brother to sign up for them. Wonder how the smugmug/phanfare compare?

I looked at phanfare. It is a different animal. Does not compare to smugmug at all, IMO. May work for some, but it is VERY different. Not apples to apples, and something I am NOT interested in.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Silica,

Thanks for asking. We don't have any current plans to offer such subscription offerings.

Actually, I hate to correct you, but we've had plans for this for awhile. :)

It'll likely be 10X the cost of a yearly rate. So, given the new rates, a lifetime Standard will likely be $400, Power = $600, and Pro = $1500.

No promises on when it'll happen or whether those will be the final prices, but we've had enough people ask that I think we'll do it at some point.

Don
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

It'll likely be 10X the cost of a yearly rate. So, given the new rates, a lifetime Standard will likely be $400, Power = $600, and Pro = $1500.

No promises on when it'll happen or whether those will be the final prices, but we've had enough people ask that I think we'll do it at some point.

Don

I don't mind being corrected at all - especially with cool news like this!
  • Options
    silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    Thanks, I would definitely consider that option. First, I would have to decide if my estimated lifespan is greater than my age + 10 ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    What happens if Smugmug goes under within 10 years? I would consider that maybe if I had the cash (then what would I use future referral credit for?). Actually I would wait until I had 150 referrals. Smugmug needs to have banners and stuff we can put on our site (ads) so we can refer people. I want to seriously promote smugmug (will do a review of Smugmug uploader 2.0 for Mac).
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Mac Write wrote:
    What happens if Smugmug goes under within 10 years? I would consider that maybe if I had the cash (then what would I use future referral credit for?). Actually I would wait until I had 150 referrals. Smugmug needs to have banners and stuff we can put on our site (ads) so we can refer people. I want to seriously promote smugmug (will do a review of Smugmug uploader 2.0 for Mac).
    i believe if you become an affiliate here you can find smugmug banners to use. i thought i had seen smugmug banners somewhere else, but i might be mistaken.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i believe if you become an affiliate here you can find smugmug banners to use. i thought i had seen smugmug banners somewhere else, but i might be mistaken.

Once you become an affiliate, there are a few other banners and such that are sent to you. Interestingly, text links, hyperlinked, seem to work really, really well.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Once you become an affiliate, there are a few other banners and such that are sent to you. Interestingly, text links, hyperlinked, seem to work really, really well.
    Uh, is that new or am I just blind (again)?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Uh, is that new or am I just blind (again)?

The affiliates program, or the part about text links?
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    Wow, I didn't even know about this (affiliate program). I learn something new all the timeheadscratch.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    The affiliates program, or the part about text links?
    The affiliates program (to which I have signed up mwink.gif)
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

Don
    I would be very careful about this, while appealing to some it could hurt smugmug in the future, it is all too easy to spend out lump sums and then get broken by the monthly bills. 10X is the least I would do it for, and even then I think you might loose a lot.

James.