Options

Lense Suggestion for a Canon Rebel t5

cgcphotoscgcphotos Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
Im looking for a sharper lens, I have a 50mm 1.8 and also what would be good lense for shooting music videos?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited May 14, 2019

While the Canon t5 appears to be capable of Full HD, 1080p and frame rates of 30 fps/25 fps/24 fps, I don't think that the autofocus (AF) system of that body is capable of autofocus during video acquisition. The very minimum for continuous video AF I suggest might be the Canon EOS T7i, but other Canon dSLR type bodies with the appropriate video AF section are: the EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS 80D and EOS 77D. Of these, the Canon 5D Mark IV is best in low-light situations.

With the above bodies (the EOS 5D Mark IV, EOS 80D, EOS 77D, and Rebel T7i) you should also use a Canon lens with either:
    STM (Stepping Motor) focus technology
    or
    Nano USM focus motor technology,
    ... for best results.

In low-light situations this limits choices, but in good light, like daylight with light and diffuse clouds to soften shadows, you might get by with a single lens like the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, which has Nano-USM. Couple this lens with a Canon 80D or 7D Mark II (although you do need to dive into the menu system manually for the 7D Mark II), and I think you can get desirable results.

Canon EOS 80D DSLR Video Creator Kit - Adorama
    Canon EOS 80D DSLR Video Creator Kit - B&H

If budget allows, the Canon 5D Mark IV with Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM might be a pretty good lens to start with.

If you shoot "indie-style" video and bigger budget, with activities "blocked"' ahead and a dedicated focus puller, then a full camera rig with manual-focus lenses might be possible.

If you can't afford to purchase the lens and body appropriate for your needs, I suggest rental for each project.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums