Options

Italic text sometimes works and sometimes not.

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited May 27, 2019 in Dgrin Forum Support

In Holy Macro, the sometimes highlighting a word and clicking the Italic button puts the text into italics, sometimes it does not

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited May 27, 2019

Were you manually typing an i with brackets in front of and behind the text you wanted to italicize? The proper form here is the underscore before and after. The editor places the _ there when you highlight the text and then click the i in the editor above the text box.

I just edited one of your threads and it works.
    https://dgrin.com/discussion/265079/patchwork-leaf-cutter-bee-with-leaf-clipping#latest

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

"The editor places the _ there when you highlight the text and then click the i in the editor above the text box". It does that but shows the _ either side of the word and no italics.

I am dong no different from previous discussions but some of them took several attempts.

I am not typing in.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2019

I just did exactly what I did earlier this morning (several attempts) and got italics first time.

Could there be a difference between reaching the forum via a reply alert and going via my desktop shortcut?

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,912 moderator
    edited May 27, 2019

@e6filmuser said:
    Could there be a difference between reaching the forum via a reply alert and going via my desktop shortcut?

I doubt it.
    Playing around, I noticed that if a leading or trailing space is included in the highlight, the formatting fails. Double clicking on a word seems to include a trailing space if there is one, while single clicking and _dragging _can give you just the word. If I am right, the word include in the previous sentence should be italic, while dragging will not.
    Yep, even though I used the button in the second case, it is showing the literal text, not doing the formatting. Now I used double click to get the second highlight, which gave a result I hadn't seen before. Note that it is easy to include a space without realizing it when you click and drag to highlight. In this case, it doesn't show the underscores, but the formatting simply fails. I suspect this might be the source of your problem.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2019

Thanks.

It's the same issue as posting image addresses in another forum. There, a space before the [/img] shows the typing not the image.

Harold