MINI_CHALLENGE # 286 : The colour white in a colour photo

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

This time I'll take a broad subject to hopefully get a lot of entries to make my judging difficult ;)

It's The colour white in a colour photo, as well know "white" consistes of all colours and it should be the first thought when looking at the photo, other colours can be present, but it must be predominantly white (no monochrome or B&W photo's please)

Here's a few of my own examples:

Magnolia Stellata

Beach huts

Apple blossoms

The white cat

Good luck, happy shooting and this mini will stay open until Wednesday July 10, 2019, 20:00 GMT

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2019

Pieter, I think these three fit the bill, as in all of them the subject of the photo is white. If any of them are not appropriate just let me know and I'll use another. I was surprised to find quite a few "white-ish" pictures. Good challenge - I'm interested to see the other entries.

1) White tulip

2) Kissing statue

3) Cloudy peak

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Thanks for kicking it off Sara, they're all great (e.g. white enough) :)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2019

This is a different and interestng mini, Pieter. Here are my three entries. Please let me know if they don't qualify and I will try to find better ones.

Mountain Goat - Ice Field Highway, Canada

Dogwood flowers in Lewiston, Id

Snow Discs - Yube River near Cisco, Ca.

Thanks Jo, more than enough white in those subjects as well

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2019

The first thing I thought of when I saw this subject was this photo that I took back in 1959 (Kodachrome slide). It looks like a black and white photo but there is a little green grass in one corner

1. White Sand on Pensacola Beach

2. Lighthouse bedroom

3. Beit Chaim Bleinheim - Willemstad, Curaçao

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Well thought out challenge Pieter! Here are my 3.
    1 Fluffy White

2 White washed waves

3 White Jelly

• jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins

A
    A. Fly by birds of a feather

Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/

Jeff I am feeling a bit cloudy

Jeff W

Rock and roll

Jeff W

Great entries so far! Thanks grandmaR, Joyce and Jeff for joining.

@ all others: keep them coming B)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins

What a fun idea! And such great entries so far!

At first, I didn't think I had anything but snow pictures (there is nothing wrong with snow photographs, but I have tons of those living where I do and so that didn't seem fun enough!)...but I found some, I think. Let me know if they don't meet the requirements. :)

1. Tow-headed Flower Girl

2. Gargoyles (Notre Dame)

3. Mud Pot (Yellowstone)

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2019
    1. Rainy Day Rose

2. Fallen Rose

Apparently this rose was near its end and the rain caused the petals to fall just below the stem, staying close together.

3. Just Dandy! Dandelion Fluff

~~Barbara
  • DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

what a great challenge Pieter @pegelli , with lots of great entries already. I have been on a bit of a white flower kick lately, so here are some of my efforts

1. Tradescantia in morning light (garden)

1. Clintonia uniflora, Queens cup in forest shade (wild)

1. Begonia, monring light (garden)

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

What a great variety of subjects & great entries!!

1. Night blooming Cereus

2. Ginger kitty

3. Dogwood blossoms

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/

Thanks for all the new entries, I will have a tough job ahead of me.

Two more days to go, so still plenty of time to submit if you haven't done so already

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2019

I've been so busy lately and have just about missed this mini, but I stopped long enough to find these. Not sure how they stack up, but they represent some of my favorite memories.

1. Mammoth Hot Springs at Yellowstone

2. Pear blossoms at my Mom & Dad's house. Dad was so proud of his fruit trees!

3. A bromeliad at Moody Gardens in Galveston, Texas. One of my favorite places to visit.

Lots of lovely images already, so you might have a tough choice. Good luck everyone. :)

Sherry P.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited July 11, 2019

Lovely challenge! I am sharing three images but please don't consider these as entries. (With a wedding in our immediate family and giving our house some much needed attention, I felt fortunate to find a minute to look for photos!)

1) Tree in Winter

2) Winter Landscape

3) Night Blooming Cereus

edited July 12, 2019

Thanks for all the entries, this mini is now closed.
    I'll try to have a verdict soon

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug