Fuji Xt-3 vs Sony A7iii

dbvirago2dbvirago2 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
Fuji vs Sony

Looking for opinions on the (probably) XT-3 and the A7iii.

I have been a Canon shooter since the AE1 program and currently shoot the MKIII. I currently own five lenses, 3 of them L glass.

If I go with the Sony, I would buy an adapter and keep using my current lenses (unless that is a bad idea for some reason). If I go to Fuji, obviously I would buy all new lenses. The total kit for the Fuji would be double of that on the Sony. I don't want to say money is no object, but I don't want that to be the only, or even the main, factor.

What is your opinion on these two options, and/or should I wait for the Canon pro mirrorless next year?

TIA

Comments

• dbvirago2dbvirago2 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    Forgot to add, video is not a consideration, I only shoot stills
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

I have a Fuji X-T2 and am very happy with it.

You might find this thread interesting - https://dgrin.com/discussion/264100/fujifilm-x-t3-latest-in-x-series-bodies-maybe-the-best. In addition to information on the camera and links to some review videos there also comments from a couple of people who are shooting with an X-T3.

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited June 21, 2019

@dbvirago2 said:
    Fuji vs Sony

Looking for opinions on the (probably) XT-3 and the A7iii.

I have been a Canon shooter since the AE1 program and currently shoot the MKIII. I currently own five lenses, 3 of them L glass.

You don't mention what you photograph, nor do you mention why you wish to move away from Canon cameras. (BTW, your comment, "... currently shoot the MKIII.", is a bit ambiguous. Canon made both a 1D Mark III and a 5D Mark III.)

It would also be advantageous to mention what lenses you use most and how you use them. The more we know about your shooting methods the better we can make recommendations.

Both the FUJIFILM X-T3 and the Sony α7 III (ILCE-7M3) are fine cameras, really, honestly, truthfully. But ... they are greatly different in many respects. It's hard to recommend one over the other until we know more about your photographic needs.

@dbvirago2 said:
    Fuji vs Sony

If I go with the Sony, I would buy an adapter and keep using my current lenses (unless that is a bad idea for some reason). If I go to Fuji, obviously I would buy all new lenses. The total kit for the Fuji would be double of that on the Sony. I don't want to say money is no object, but I don't want that to be the only, or even the main, factor.

Adapters are improving all the time. I don't feel that current adapted lenses are truly equivalent to native-mount lenses of the same class. I will always recommend native glass to match bodies, just because my personal experience with adapted lenses has been less than satisfactory. (I tried adapters for my Canon EF lenses to mount them onto Sony crop bodies and AF speed and accuracy both suffered, plus general operational speed was terribly slow. I wound up purchasing native Sony-mount lenses as needed.)

@dbvirago2 said:
    Fuji vs Sony
    What is your opinion on these two options, and/or should I wait for the Canon pro mirrorless next year?

TIA

Canon has indeed indicated that they will produce a professional FF mirrorless body at some point in the future. They have not indicated any timetable for the introduction or release of that beast. (Internet conjecture abounds with misinformation and guesses, but only Canon knows for sure.)

In the meantime, The Canon Eos R Mirrorless continues to improve in functionality with new firmware. (Currently firmware 1.2.0 released 04/18/19.)

Additionally, if you currently have a Canon 5D Mark III, I can vouch for the Canon 5D Mark IV as a significant upgrade, and my absolute favorite camera to use, in both traditional dSLR mode and in Live-View/Mirrorless mode. It truly does possess 1D X Mark II-like autofocus, but the 30 MPix capture is a very welcome increase in the ability to scale and/or crop the image in post-production. (I use the 5D Mark III as my backup body, and for higher risk scenarios.)

I mean the Canon 5D Mark IV can shoot nicely at ISO 12,800 in a pinch, and still deliver "the goods".

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums