Bike Week Education

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited April 16, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

Bike Week in Daytona Is a spectacle of gargantuan proportions. Name your poison, it's there..... as one would expect when 550,000 bikes roar in to town, toting folks looking for a great time. In the past, I've been able to escape the place after severals days, thankful to still be sound of mind and body. This time I wanted to turn the deal into an educational experience. I'll give you a peek at some of what I learned.

1. Ladies......wear a short skirt and you'll never have to walk again.

1. Main Street has shops that highlight the very latest in women's styles.

1. There's room for all manner of taste in rides.

Stay away from this historic institution...go to church instead. In retrospect, though, it's amazing how time dulls the memory and forgives past transgressions. In all fairness, perhaps it's OK to give a place a second....or even a third, and fourth chance, you know.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Good ones, Tom.

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Fun stuff. That sidecar is wild. Got any pics of the bikers? Or is that a bad idea?

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Love this set, thanks for sharing! Good ol' bike week...:)

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

The girl in first shot, bit on the skinny side.....

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2019

@Cornflake said:
    Good ones, Tom.

Thanks, Don. I probably took less than 100 shots this time around. My archives swell with hundreds of images shot down there over the years. How many do I really need? Essentially, it's the same experience year after year. The crowd changes a little but the sideshows remain constant.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited April 17, 2019

@Richard said:
    Fun stuff. That sidecar is wild. Got any pics of the bikers? Or is that a bad idea?

Good to hear from you. You allude to an interesting point. I sure don't want to stir up any discussion about rights of privacy nor any of that kind of stuff. I have no issues with posting images of a swarm of bikers roaring down Main Street. I also feel free to post images of any bikes that are in view....although there may be contingencies there. My most interesting stuff, however, is generally close up work where I've really zeroed in on a biker and his bike. Needless to say, they are both generally rather unique. Those I don't post. It's getting to be a minefield out there about rights violations and I don't want to temp the devil.

@JonaBeth Russell said:
    Love this set, thanks for sharing! Good ol' bike week...:)

Thanks, JonaBeth. Homesick, are you?

@Stumblebum said:
    The girl in first shot, bit on the skinny side.....

Well, you have to consider, Taz, that the poor thing has been out of touch for awhile and is just out for a little sun an a beautiful day.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Good set, Tom

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
    edited April 21, 2019

@willard3 said:
    Good set, Tom

Thanks, buddy. I've been meaning to tell you that I once slept on a bed that was used by Zapata. A Mexican family that I know well owns a complex of buildings near Delicias, a town not too far from Chihuahua.. This outpost was, and is, known as Bachimba. During a few times when Zapata was in hiding, he would hold up there for awhile. A gas station and restaurant have been added to the site, but the older buildings remain and the family is great about having their guests stay in the " Zapata " room.

I must ask what you were doing in Bachimba, Chihuahua, Tom?

Orozco, another participant in the Mexican Revoloution also holed up in Bachimba

@willard3 said:

Orozco, another participant in the Mexican Revoloution also holed up in Bachimba

I was introduced to the Mexican family by mutual American friends. The two parties owned adjacent massive tracts of land in New Mexico. Through that connection, I was invited down to participate in a huge cattle drive that the Mexicans staged on their ranches near Delicias. These two ranches totaled over 140,000 acres. I could write a book about that experience. Over my two week stay during that episode, I hatched a plan aimed at creating an upscale community geared to expatriated Americans....not an origanal concept as there are other such programs. There was one particular tract of the property ( roughly a 2,000 tract ) that would have been ideal for that use. After extensive conversations with the family and some of their associates, it seemed to be a viable endeavor. Upon return to the U.S., I set about forming a team of experts necessary to pull off such a venture. Within a month, I returned to Delicias with my party; a land planner, an architect, a golf course architect, and a doctor who would have functioned as medical director of the facilities planned for the people who lived there. All in my party were very positive at the propspects of success. There were a couple of regulatory issues that arose but the family had so much political clout that they could be easily handled. Returning home, my team hunkered down and finalized a very workable plan.

From that point forward, however, it all went downhill. So many people on the Mexican side of the equation got involved that reaching a consensus on anything became very problematic There were too many instances of people not responding to the urgency that prevails in ventures of this nature and scope. The prevailing attitude down there of puting off major decisions till a later date, and of being reluctant to make a decision at all, eventually spelled doom for the project. I shut my team down and moved on to other ventures.

edited April 22, 2019

@black mamba said:

@willard3 said:

From that point forward, however, it all went downhill. So many people on the Mexican side of the equation got involved that reaching a consensus on anything became very problematic There were too many instances of people not responding to the urgency that prevails in ventures of this nature and scope. The prevailing attitude down there of puting off major decisions till a later date, and of being reluctant to make a decision at all, eventually spelled doom for the project. I shut my team down and moved on to other ventures.

>

Mañana is the word frequently used by Mexicanos in this regard.

The Mormons tried to populate and develop Chihuahua, too.

@willard3 said:

@black mamba said:

@willard3 said:

>

Mañana is the word frequently used by Mexicanos in this regard.

The Mormons tried to populate and develop Chihuahua, too.

Well, I'll tell you that the mañana philosophy enjoys a widespread endorsement down there. In fact, it often seemed to me that the higher up the chain you went, the more likely you would encounter practitioners of the art. Though brief, my negotiations got into some pretty heady stuff involving some major players. It was an unforgetable experience. I'll say this though....everyone I interfaced with during this process was a gracious individual, generally astute, great to be around.

• SiegSieg Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    Small world, a friend of mine built that sidecar. B)
    edited July 20, 2019