Options

Topsy-Turvy

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited July 2, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

These shots weren taken in the Nantahala River Gorge, located not far from Bryson City in NW N.C. The river offers some of the very best kayaking waters in the world. Portions of the river sport rapids rated as #4 and #5 ... on a scale of 1 to 5. Many important championships have been staged here. Many individuals and teams come from around the world to practice here.

The scene here shows some of the more placid waters where they have set up a course to highlight maneuvering abilities. The hanging gates, suspended by wires, define the course. They run one color of gates in one direction and the other color as they reverse course.

This series shows a young guy trying a most difficult maneuver in scary waters. He's kind of pacing around, figuring how to best attack that torrent of water coming at him.

In this first shot, he's decided on his attack angle....never the same, though.

Here he initiates this radical maneuver. He has depended on the raging water to pull the front of his kayak downward. At the same time, he thrusts himself forward. The goal is to continue under water with a forceful somersault of himself and the kayak, hoping the kayak and himself come up together and in one piece.

Things can go wrong.....

No fun here.....

Maybe some help is needed....

Looks like he might get righted....

Spoke too soon....

Well, of course, the hero survives. In fact, here he is making a subsequent charge at this wicked water. Turns out the young man is 15 years old, has won a lot of events, and is heading to the world championships later this year.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Superb action capture Tom! There are couple of wires or ropes running up top. It takes effort to take out.....

Cheers!

• Options
    edited July 3, 2019

Thanks, Taz. Like you, I hate extraneous distractions in a shot....particularly wires and such. I generally go to great lengths to zap the things. In this case, with so many shots involved, the work load to get rid of the things was more than I wanted to take on. Honestly, when I look at the images now, the lines don't even register with me. It must be a defense mechanism I employ to justify my laziness in dealing with them.

Take care, my friend.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Great shots of challenging whitewater Tom

Brings back memories of when I had a white water rig

I used to run the Stanislaus class 5 before they damned it

It's super exciting at water level

Rags
  • Options

@torags said:
    Great shots of challenging whitewater Tom

Brings back memories of when I had a white water rig

I used to run the Stanislaus class 5 before they damned it

It's super exciting at water level

Thanks, Rags. White-water kayaking is one of the few things I've never tangled with. Judging from watching these youngsters going at it, it was probably wise that I never gave it a shot. Take care, buddy.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Excellent action shots!!

Nicely presented. Never tried this sport...best I suspect, left to the younger folks!

Well done, thanks for sharing these images!

• Options

@El Gato said:
    Excellent action shots!!

Nicely presented. Never tried this sport...best I suspect, left to the younger folks!

Well done, thanks for sharing these images!

Many thanks for the visit. An interesting note.....I asked one of the young guys what he considered to be the most difficult part of this activity. He said, for himself, it was developing a proper breathing sequence that allowed him to weather under water periods that could last for unexpected durations.