The end of an era... Prequel

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
edited March 10, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

As I explained in a previous post, the theater where I used to work is now being renovated. The last event that took place in the "Big House" (i.e. the main theater, built in 1877) was a party and small show for past and present employees and honored guests (the politicians were there, of course...) in early summer 2016. During the performance I wandered around backstage and got some shots. Although the stage machinery was renovated in the early 90's, much of the other infrastructure was quite dated, including many items from the big renovation in 1938 and post-war rebuild in 1956.

1) waiting for an entrance by the stage manager's console

2) last walk up the side-stage

3) it's important to remember which direction to pull the curtain

4) this looks very safe, doesn't it...

5) cryptic notes from the past

6) "don't turn on, fire danger!"

7) gels for the lights

8) the locking rail

9) the computer-run stage machinery console (from 1990 - I think it still ran Windows XP :-) )

10) the stage manager's console

Tagged:

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Good story and interesting mix of old technology too.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Well done, Sara. Nice array of interesting shots. Got to love #4. Sadly, it also reminds me of the maze behind my home entertainment system.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Looks like WWII secret base!

• WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins

This series is very nicely done. I especially like your monochrome tonality.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

A very interesting insight to the details of the theatre's backstage, Sara! It sure looks like not only the actors have to improvise :smiley: #4, #5 and #7 are my favourites from this set - they very much satisfy the nerd in me! :smiley:

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Very interesting series!

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Thank you all for taking the time to comment! The theater is such a photogenic place I truly regret that I didn't take more time to photograph while we were still using it, but I was just too busy working...

@Stumblebum said:

Looks like WWII secret base!

...you should have seen the sub-basements and the hydraulic room under the stage - even moreso!!!

@black mamba said:
    Got to love #4. Sadly, it also reminds me of the maze behind my home entertainment system.

mine too :smiley:

• BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins

A great trip down memory lane Sara. Glad you captured the historical gizmos and gadgets. They're quite interesting. #4 is great, USB3 or Thunderbolt ports? Can't decide ;)

Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting John!

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Sara...as a fan of machinery (old and new) and photographing same, your images are very nicely taken and presented. It is always fun and interesting to wander around "back stage" isn't it. Thanks for sharing these!!

Gato, thanks for stopping by and commenting.

I really regret that I didn't take more time to photograph in the last couple of years when I still had access (i.e. all of the keys) to the Big House before it was finally closed off to employees and the renovations started. All of those memories must live in my mind.