Options

Google Analytics Buy Button Click

Scott_LyonsScott_Lyons Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
Hi, first post so go easy on me :smile: Apologies if this has been asked before (I could see similar posts but nothing too specific).

I have Google Analytics setup and working on my SmugMug site, but I'm wondering if it's possible to track 'Buy' button clicks. It seems like a big failing that we can track the /checkout page using goal conversions but not the 'Buy' click, my reasoning being that this might be a useful indicator that customers are turned off by price (or other options presented on clicking 'Buy').

I've peaked at the code behind a little bit and can see that the buttons are using data annotations and Google Tag Manager is installed on the page, so setting up Custom Dimensions should be possible, but we can't add custom JavaScript to pages.

Has anyone else solved this? Is it a feature waiting to happen still? Thanks in advance for any guidance

Comments

• Options
    dedricramseyphotodedricramseyphoto Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    As of today, I believe the Google Tag Manager installation you are seeing is actually for SmugMug, not your site. If you use the analytics "analyzer" (I cant remember what they call it off hand) on your page to test the event firing, you will see your Analytics account number, then another Analytics account number. That other account is for SmugMug, as they also use GTM for their purposes. So, I haven't been able to track with Google Analytics, which Id prefer, but Facebook's Pixel does seem to track the Buy button clicks reliably.