Clear Bottom Kayak Commercial

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Friend of mine recently purchased Clear Kayaks Maui, a clear bottom boat rental where tourists can paddle around the reef for as many hours as they're willing to purchase. The biz needed a fresh new look and some updated media, so we shot this little ad vid. Enjoy!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Great production quality. Liking the quick cut-cut-cut edits and peppered hyper-lapse segments to keep viewer's attention. Love that you use Vimeo, which does a much better job preserving high-detail captures. Light and fun music background makes the right mood for the action.

Props!

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@ziggy53 said:
    Great production quality. Liking the quick cut-cut-cut edits and peppered hyper-lapse segments to keep viewer's attention. Love that you use Vimeo, which does a much better job preserving high-detail captures. Light and fun music background makes the right mood for the action.

Props!

Mahalo, Ziggy!!

Here's the camera line-up for this project:

Sony A7R III (gimbal mounted)
    Sony A7 III (tripod / long lens)
    GoPro Hero 5 Black on a floaty handle (no dome...so that over/under turtle shot was tricky)
    DJI Mavic 2 Zoom

Vimeo is wonderful, right?!! I am so burnt out on YouTube with the pop up ads, commercial flashy bits & limited quality.

Shooting on the Sony cams has taught me a TON about using log profiles. With S-log 2, I get a full 14 stops of DR in those little cameras, and you can see that it's a huge improvement over the standard profile compression. Just takes some time in post to extract all that data into something pretty.

I dial the drone settings to shoot flat as well, although the M2Z didn't come with any actual log function. Either way, same principal applies...it's easier to capture more data and refine it later.

GoPro...well, it is what it is. You get the choice of either vivid or flat...I go with flat for the same reasons mentioned above.