The Subway, Zion National Park, Utah (Part Deux)

shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited August 4, 2019 in Landscapes

Hi all,

I was lucky enough to visit 'The Subway' in Zion 3 times in March and April of this year. The water levels were high due to the enormous amount of snowfall this winter. The hike was really strenuous and my friends thought I was mad to do it so many times - but there is something about that hike that keeps drawing me back. Maybe it's the solitude and the feeling of being alone with no one around. On my third visit (in April), all the permits were utilized for that day (meaning 80 people were going to hike that day), but I only saw them on the way back (since I always start my hikes before sunrise). I can't wait to head back there in the fall again - in the interim, here are some photos from my last visit. All shots with the Nikon D850 and the Nikon 14-24 (utilizing the WonderPana CPL kit - I find it excellent for the price of under $200, which includes the filter kit and a CPL filter).

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

These are wonderful. I think my favorite is the 2nd photo, love the light.

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

The entire series is outstanding. The color, long exposure, and even more impressive was the POV - that enhanced the feel and look of the water flow. And in #1 - the flow in the lower right of the photo is incredibly mesmerizing!

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

Dynomite, Nikhil! Great angles on these, particularly that first falls. I thought the hike was tough enough in the fall. I can't imagine what it must be like in spring!

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Dang! What a place and a set of wonderful photos. I never got the chance to do the Subway when I was in Zion. So wish I had, especially seeing your set here.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Very nice work, Nikhil. Thanks for sharing.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Beautiful work! Excellent images...all of them. I'd pick #3 as my favorite, well done!

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:
    These are wonderful. I think my favorite is the 2nd photo, love the light.

Thanks Denise - that one is my favorite too.

@Cavalier said:
    The entire series is outstanding. The color, long exposure, and even more impressive was the POV - that enhanced the feel and look of the water flow. And in #1 - the flow in the lower right of the photo is incredibly mesmerizing!

Thank you. One of the reasons I wanted to go in the spring was to capture these small waterfalls with an UWA perspective.

@kdog said:
    Dynomite, Nikhil! Great angles on these, particularly that first falls. I thought the hike was tough enough in the fall. I can't imagine what it must be like in spring!

Hi Joel! It definitely was not an easy hike. It's one of those few hikes where I actually was really tired, halfway on my return. I am going again this Saturday (managed to snag a last minute permit), as I want to check it out in the summer. It is supposed to be much easier now, as the water levels are low.

@David_S85 said:
    Dang! What a place and a set of wonderful photos. I never got the chance to do the Subway when I was in Zion. So wish I had, especially seeing your set here.

You should definitely try and get there sometime. It really does offer tremendous opportunities for photography.

@black mamba said:
    Very nice work, Nikhil. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks much.

@El Gato said:
    Beautiful work! Excellent images...all of them. I'd pick #3 as my favorite, well done!

Thanks much.

Cheers,

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Insane! Bravo! Totally mystifying!