Problem with Title on phone in horizontal mode with Collage Landscape style

vadbvadb Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
I just started to test and do some customization for the new design and I see some problem with titles on phone. The problem remains when I disable all my customization so it's likely not mine.

My gallery uses standard Collage Landscape style. When I look at it on the phone (Pixel 2, to be specific) in vertical mode, everything works: I can see the first line of the title, tap on the picture makes title disappear/appear, and tap on the title opens the details.

Now if I rotate the phone to make it horizontal, I just cannot see any title at all, no matter where I tap. (I can still tap the hamburger icon, but that's different.) Tried on the real phone and by emulating the phone in Google Chrome (tried other phones in the emulator with the same result).

Looks like a bug to me.
Tagged:

Comments

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

For now, this is by design. Phones held in landscape orientation don’t have a lot of vertical height, especially on iOS where Safari often refuses to hide its address bar/tab bar.

When the phone is held in landscape orientation:

• Portrait photos don’t have room for a Title and caption, so we omit the Title.
    • To avoid an inconsistent UI when browsing between photos in a gallery, we also omit the Title/Caption for landscape orientation photos

Tl;dr: When the phone is held in landscape orientation, the Title/Caption are omitted for consistency.

The reason I started this post with “for now” is because we can always change it based on feedback. There’s not much room for Titles on portrait images, but if folks prefer the inconstancy, we could re-enable titles on landscape photos, as long as you’re OK with titles appearing, and disappearing based on the orientation of the photo (we’d need a large enough group of customers to let us know this is their preference. A few folks on dgrin aren’t a large enough audience).

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • vadbvadb Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    Thanks for the explanation!

I am not sure I understand the comment about consistency. In portrait orientation the title is shown as an overlay to the image so it does not take any vertical space (not sure I like this but it's a totally different question). So if you keep showing the title the same way (as overlay) in landscape then that I think would be consistent.

Looking more closely, I found that the title is still present in html but is hidden by

@media screen and (max-width: 960px) and (orientation: landscape)

rule. Which means that I can enable it using css customization (already done it).

Thanks again!
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

When the phone is held in landscape orientation, a landscape photo could have room for a title...

but if you swipe to the next photo and it's a portrait oriented photo (keeping the phone in landscape orientation), there's no room for the title:

So rather than show the title and hide it as you swipe, we opted to keep the title consistent (off). I'm working on collecting data to see if people view portrait oriented photos with a landscape orientation, or if they immediately rotate their phone to also be portrait. If so, then we'd consider adding the Title back in for landscape oriented photos.

BUT, glad you could get by with some CSS!

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins

Why couldn't the buy/title overlay be spread over the whole content for portrait? Does it have to fall on top of photo.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog