Options

Canon EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II Announcement

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
edited August 28, 2019 in Cameras

Well, the Canon EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II are official and officially coming soon.

Two Cameras, Two Ways: Canon U.S.A. Announces a Pair of High-Speed Advanced Amateur ILC Cameras, The EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II

https://usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2019/20190828-camera/20190828-camera

They both share a number of features:

• 32.5 Megapixel CMOS(APS-C) Sensor
  • DIGIC 8 Image Processor
  • 4K UHD up 30p and 1080p FHD up 120p video recording with no crop
  • Dual Pixel CMOS AF in Live View with 5,481 manually selectable AF positions
  • Electronic shutter with a minimum of up to 1/16000th
  • Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Technology

The EOS M6 Mark II claims up to 14 fps, but there is some dispute about the image refresh and whether it keeps up with the action. DPReview claims that the viewfinder only keeps up until 7 fps:
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/9482211769/which-would-you-choose-shooting-the-canon-eos-90d-and-eos-m6-mark-ii-in-atlanta

"At 14 fps on the M6 II, you get a slideshow of the previous images - drop to 7 fps, and you get a live view between shots."

(ziggy note: Possibly this has to do with the optional EViewfinder and not the LCD? )

Only the 80D has an earphone jack.
Only the M6 Mark II has a 30 fps Raw Burst mode.

About the 80D AF, DPR says,

"Switching over to the optical viewfinder on the EOS 90D, I exclusively used Canon's iTR tracking through the viewfinder. It's not as robust as Canon's Dual Pixel AF in live view - there's a much smaller AF area, for starters - but I found accuracy and tracking tenacity to be leagues ahead of the older EOS 80D, probably thanks to Canon's new metering sensor."

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options

DPReview TV: Canon EOS 90D and M6 Mark II Hands-On in Atlanta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gFCbNQwTJw
    DPReview
    Published on Aug 27, 2019

By now, you've had plenty to read up on regarding Canon's new APS-C cameras, the EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II - now it's time to see them in action. DPReview TV's Chris Niccolls teams up with Reviews Editor Carey Rose in Atlanta to see just what these two cameras are capable of at Michelin Raceway.

ziggy53
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator

So, this is apparently the 7Dmk3, without the badge. My 5D3 gets older every day.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III is still a very relevant camera, and I'll keep mine till it drops.

ziggy53
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 31, 2019

David, I'm not completely sure it is. I own an 80D, after previously owning a 70D, and I like both cameras. The larger file size of the 80D is a definite improvement over the 70D, as I am certainty 90D is over the 80D.

But the 80D AF does not compare well my 7D Mk II. The increase in file size from 24 to 32 Mpixles from the 80D to the 90D is impressive. I do wonder how the noise is at high ISOs since the pixels count is almost 1/3 larger.

The build of the 90D body is not as robust as the 7D Mk II either - I admit one of the things I like about the 70D and the 80D was the smaller body and lighter weight.

Also the 7D MK II has better weather sealing I think too. High speed frame rates seem similar

I really do wish the 7D Mk II had the tilt swivel LCD movements of the 70,80,90D's though.

Funny, I have seen reviews where the reviewer really liked the M6 Mk II better than the 90D. They were a committed mirrorless user though.

I am still waiting for a 7D Mk III and a pro R style body - no joy so far this year though. I am keeping my 80D for now - it is my walk around snap shooter these days. Small, light, decent files, and a tilt swivel LCD that my old neck and knees really like.

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin