Options

Extremely rare Mercedes-Benz

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

This is a 1955 Mercedes 300 SLR. It's priceless.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,795 moderator

@black mamba said:
    ... It's priceless.

... And it has a timeless beauty! Thanks for this wonderful set of captures.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

What a beauty. I’m glad you’re out and about my friend.

• Options

@ziggy53 said:

@black mamba said:
    ... It's priceless.

... And it has a timeless beauty! Thanks for this wonderful set of captures.

Thanks for looking in, ziggy. I personally rank this car as being one of the top two or three most beautiful ones ever produced. That's an unusual endorsement, by me, for a car that was designed as a race car, where beauty often takes a back seat to functionality.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

@Juano said:
    What a beauty. I’m glad you’re out and about my friend.

Thanks, Cristóbal. I've curtailed my car show activity a good bit simply because the hoards of people in attendance at these premier events make getting the shots I like almost impossible. Stay safe, buddy.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2019

Bravo Tom! Monchrome makes these images beautiful and stunning!

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Bravo Tom! Monchrome makes these images beautiful and stunning!

Thanks so much, Taz. I'll take a " bravo " from you any time I can get it. As you know, I'm not the resident expert on PP work. With the severe uneven light falling on this car, I just couldn't get color versions to meet my expectations. Switching to monochrome allowd me to showcase the magnificent lines and nuances of the car.

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

Beautiful photos of a beautiful auto, Tom!

• Options

@moose135 said:

Thanks, John. I'm sure that you are one who can appreciate the difficulty in fabricating that spectacular hood on this car. I mean the asymmetrical bulges, swoops, and bumps evident so well in the third shot surely required skilled artisans.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

I’m now fully appreciating that third shot. Wow!!!

@black mamba said:

@moose135 said:

Thanks, John. I'm sure that you are one who can appreciate the difficulty in fabricating that spectacular hood on this car. I mean the asymmetrical bulges, swoops, and bumps evident so well in the third shot surely required skilled artisans.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Nice car--and I love the BW versions!

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

@redleash said:
    Nice car--and I love the BW versions!

Thanks, Lauren. As I told Taz, going BW saved the day for me.

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

What color was the car? Just curious

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

Hi Lauren. As with all racing Mercedes's, this car was silver. Early on, when countries usually raced on a single color ( Britain was green, France was blue, Italy was red, etc., etc. ), Germany was white. Along the way, Germany switched to silver. Over the years, this custom has largely been softened, but I doubt you'll ever see a factory racing Ferrari that isn't red.