Automatic Display of Title, Caption on Clicking Image to Enlarge

CarolineWebbCarolineWebb Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
I am a beginner user of Smugmug and at present just using the Default Collage Landscape option. If it's possible I want to change the situation with respect to visibility of a Title and Caption when someone clicks on a photo to view it. I want to be able to automatically display the information to the left or the right of the image for everything in that gallery. Can it be done? I want to cut out anyone having to do extra clicks just to read the data for an image.

The current layout ties text on top of the image and if there are more than a few words one has to click the text to get it to display on the left in full. Having text automatically show up, without any need for clicking, is particularly relevant for historic photos which require some explanation. Moreover, the icon for displaying the text in full on the left of the image is not necessarily something that is recognizable to all, especially older people who may not know about using the mouse to hover over a navigation item and seeing what it does in writing.

FYI! I was unable to edit my previous post about this question as the Dgrin system thought I was trying to post a Link and refused to save my edit, so have had to make my edited text as a new post. The message I got was that I had to have been a longer term member of the Forum before being able to post any links. But there were no links! Just thought I would mention this glitch.

Comments

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

I don't see any way for you do do that.

As far as your link, all new members are not allowed to post images or live links until you've been here for a while. You can post your website, but don't add the https part.

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2019

All you would need is post your screen name for Smug.
    Just guessing but is this it?
    CarolineWebb.smugmug.com

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • KimCarpenterKimCarpenter Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    I, too, would like to be able to set a default to have my photos' titles and captions displayed (or at least a few lines of the caption with an option to click for more). For me, the story (historical, architectural, point of view, comment on how or why the photo was taken, etc.) are a key part of the image.
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins

@KimCarpenter said:
    I, too, would like to be able to set a default to have my photos' titles and captions displayed (or at least a few lines of the caption with an option to click for more). For me, the story (historical, architectural, point of view, comment on how or why the photo was taken, etc.) are a key part of the image.

Have you tried using the "Journal" instead of the Collage Landscape? Seems to me that style would work better for you?

• KimCarpenterKimCarpenter Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    There are a couple of whole-gallery views that show photo title and caption, but when someone clicks through to an individual photo, s/he must click the unintuitive three-lined icon to see information displayed. Will play around with your suggestion and see what happens. Thanks!
  • rjwilnerrjwilner Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins

@Hikin' Mike said:
    Have you tried using the "Journal" instead of the Collage Landscape? Seems to me that style would work better for you?

The info display in a Gallery Style of 'Journal' is exactly the manner in which I'd like to be able to employ in the Lightbox. Unfortunately, Journal view as a Gallery Style doesn't work for me....simply induces way too much scrolling for the visitor to see all the images in the gallery.

@rjwilner said:
    ....simply induces way too much scrolling for the visitor to see all the images in the gallery.

Imagine a collage gallery, visitors have no idea how many there are to scroll through.

• rjwilnerrjwilner Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins

@Allen said:

@rjwilner said:
    ....simply induces way too much scrolling for the visitor to see all the images in the gallery.

Imagine a collage gallery, visitors have no idea how many there are to scroll through.

I guess I've doubled up on my idiot pills once again. I'm not sure of the point you're making.

@rjwilner said:

@Allen said:

@rjwilner said:

I guess I've doubled up on my idiot pills once again. I'm not sure of the point you're making.

I assumed you've never scrolled through a collage gallery. The photos keep loading and loading and loading at the bottom with no end in sight.