Options

Historic St. Augustine street scene

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited August 23, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

It's best to navigate the historic district in St. Augustine by foot. These old brick streets, many even narrower than this one, make getting around by car very problematical.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Cute! Where is this?

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Cute! Where is this?

This is Aviles Street in St. Augustine, Florida. It's in the heart of the historic district. This street is recognized as being the oldest street in the USA. It's great to hear from you Taz. Hope you're doing well.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

I hadn't grasped St. Augustine's history.

• Options

@Cornflake said:
    I hadn't grasped St. Augustine's history.

Hey, Don. St. Augustine is the oldest town in our country. I'm not allowed to forget anything about the place....my wife is a direct descendant from one of the nine families that settled in the town in the early 1600's. They all came from Spain and Minoca. My wife's ancestors were from Minoca. It's amazing.....she and I can't walk the town without her having to waive to at least 300 relatives of some sort. In addition to my wife's family, there are representatives of every one of the early nine families that still live there.

• Options

Tom, your comments had me googling because in recent years I've been in two communities that claimed to be older. Wikipedia says St. Augustine is "the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement in the Continental United States." Oraibi, on the Hopi Reservation here, dates to 1100 and it's still populated. It and Acoma Pueblo in New Mexico are deemed the "oldest continuously occupied communities in the USA." So everybody's right depending on what qualifiers you use. Hope I don't sound like I'm picking nits--I find this stuff very interesting.

It's cool that your wife has relatives there that date back so far.

• Options

@Cornflake said:
    Tom, your comments had me googling because in recent years I've been in two communities that claimed to be older. Wikipedia says St. Augustine is "the oldest continuously inhabited European-established settlement in the Continental United States." Oraibi, on the Hopi Reservation here, dates to 1100 and it's still populated. It and Acoma Pueblo in New Mexico are deemed the "oldest continuously occupied communities in the USA." So everybody's right depending on what qualifiers you use. Hope I don't sound like I'm picking nits--I find this stuff very interesting.

It's cool that your wife has relatives there that date back so far.

I'm with you, Don, I find this stuff interesting as well. As you may surmise though, I have to be careful about the stances I take on local history. A determined onslaught from a 5' 3" 120 lb. gal of Minocan heritage is not to be taken lightly.

• Options

I understand. :)

• Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Someday, I will get there.....

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

How in the heck are you doing, Lauren? After a long-overdue visit you paid a short time back, I hoped we's be seeing more of you. We miss your contributions a lot.

Hey, if you get anywhere near this area, you let me know. I can help you a lot.

• Options

Hi Tom,

It has been a very stressful year and every time I thought I'd get back to DGrin on a regular basis something changed my plans. I have barely picked up my camera, although I did have a very nice outing and shoot with Ella Hudson last month while I was in Maine. Always fun meeting up with DGrin friends!

Did you fare OK in the storm? My stepson is in Jacksonville and made it through fine.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

@redleash said:
    Hi Tom,

It has been a very stressful year and every time I thought I'd get back to DGrin on a regular basis something changed my plans. I have barely picked up my camera, although I did have a very nice outing and shoot with Ella Hudson last month while I was in Maine. Always fun meeting up with DGrin friends!

Did you fare OK in the storm? My stepson is in Jacksonville and made it through fine.

Lauren

Thanks for asking, Lauren. I live about 14 miles from the beach. We had a lot of rain.... fortunately I'm on high ground.... and some wind gusts in the 25 to 40 mph range. Essentially, we dodged a bullet. Considering how rudely hurricane Irma treated me a year and a half ago, I admit to being consumed by paranoia. Hell, if paranoia was edible, I wouldn't have to go to the grocery strore for a year.

• Options

Glad you fared well. Is that paranoia with or without salt?

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options

@redleash said:
    Glad you fared well. Is that paranoia with or without salt?

Well, my doctor would probably tell me to leave the salt off of the table but, honestly, dinning on paranoia without salt is a ghastly experience.