Options

Pyramiden, Spitsbergen / Svalbard

HauerHauer Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited September 23, 2019 in Journeys

Way up in the High North lies Spitsbergen / Svalbard which is located approximately 1100km from the Noth Pole. Pyramiden was once a thriving Russian settlement due to extensive coal mining in the region.
Today, it is a ghost town where only a few Russians remain to cater for the tourists visiting. What remains is a scene from the Soviet era...

Nikon D300

:)

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

Nikon gear & some lenses.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited September 8, 2019

I was in Svalbard in June of 2016 - wow, it seems like yesterday. I was aware of the Russian settlement, near Longyearbin, but our itinerary didn't include it. Interesting bit of history up there. That's Lenin surveying the landscape, right?

Did you see polar bears while you were there?

Did you travel north by boat from Svalbard?

I have images tagged from 81° 17' north which is pretty far north for tourists..

You have any more images from your trip you want to share? I am interested is seeing more of the north country. I have been to Greenland, Iceland and northern Canada and Alaska a bit too

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options

Thank you Pathfinder for commenting. Actually there are two Russian settlements being Barentzburg (closest to Longyearbyen) and Pyramiden. Barentzberg is still a very active settlement in respect of coal mining and believe it or not there is even a large Russian Consulate.
    In respect of Barentzburg, I have many images and will post another time... Indeed the man himself surveying the landscape.
    Unfortunately, I did not see any polar bears during my trip but you always need to be on your guard for them. I believe the most favourable time to see polar bears is during the month of April (pack ice) at least if climate change doesen't have too much of an impact!
    Visited Pyramiden by boat as I believe this is the only means of getting there (full day excursion as it takes quite a while to get there).
    I have many more images to share of this rather depressing but very interesting destination where it seems time stood still since the Soviet Era.
    Cheers - Herman

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited April 29, 2020
  • Options

Boat was Norwegian. At the time, I had booked all trips locally via Spitsbergen Travel, Longyearbyen. If interested, I can post more images.

Herman