Options

Robert Frank

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator

Robert Frank died today at 94. Swiss born, he became one of the great American street photographers, best known for The Americans, a collection of candids of ordinary and marginal people in their daily lives.

Photo by Robert Frank

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

You'd have been hard pressed to present a better example of Frank's work. I suspect that you, Richard, have drawn inspiration from him in your development as a street shooter.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

Yes, of course. Not only directly from him, but from the many great street photographers he inspired.

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

On to new horizons. Great photographer, I have a copy of "The Americans" that I will definitely look at again...

• Options
    kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

I didn't know about Robert Frank up until today, but this photograph makes me curious as to his other work. 94 is a great age, may he rest in peace.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Just a question. Have street shooters disappeared from the planet? Some of the most evocative and pertinent pictoral comments have come from this group of shooters, and yet this sub-forum here sees almost no activity. Frankly, I'm just no good operating in that arena but poor Richard surely can't carry the load by himself.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator

@black mamba said:
    Just a question. Have street shooters disappeared from the planet? Some of the most evocative and pertinent pictoral comments have come from this group of shooters, and yet this sub-forum here sees almost no activity. Frankly, I'm just no good operating in that arena but poor Richard surely can't carry the load by himself.

They're still out there, perhaps not as many in the USA anymore. I wish we could jump start more quality street shooting here at Dgrin. At the risk of the moderator's wrath, I might suggest a site link that continues to showcase an excellent and enthusiastic group of street (and other genres) shooters.

Over at 1X:
    https://gallery.1x.com/photos/latest/street

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

I'm afraid I'm as guilty as the rest. I just haven't been out shooting in ages. But yeah, there used to be a lot more of us.