Options

framing tips for budding exhibitors

gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
edited December 9, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
hi all

i am currently framing my photos for a gallery exhibition early next year and i thought i would pass on some of my experiences-dont ask me to post as I am keeping these all to myself for the time being.

firstly,if you have some artist or photographer friends who frame regularly get them to recommend someone and get them to tell you rough pricings.

then,take in some of your work-if its any good the framer will see potential for future and repeat business and will try and form an ongoing business relationship.If they like your work they will want to help you-a lot of framers are artists themselves and will help if they can.

how to make it easy for them and cheaper for you-

stick to plain black frames-a buyer can specify a fancier frame and this can
negotiated at the framers.

framers tend to collect returns and keep them for recycling-eg a customer changes their mind about a frame and gets it redone-the old,perfectly good frame then sits waiting for the framer to offer it to you,the budding photographer wth sales potential ,for "mates rates".

this gets your photo up for sale and the repeat business might be a little higher in cost with new frames,but if you are turning over then thats not such an issue.

the other factor important in keeping your costs under control eg negotiate a good price ,is to give them lots of lead time so that they can do your framing in slack times,rather than have your completion time conflicting with "top dollar" jobs.

also make sure your sizings are standard so that you don't cause problems in the measure up and mount cutting stage.

so budding exhibitors-get out there and start framing now!

greg
Latitude: 37° 52'South
Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 5, 2005
    the edge
    i think that i will send my files to the edge-
    they get work from all round the world and look pretty good.the prices on metallic prints looks ok too,and they are just around the corner from my framer

the edge address

http://www.theedgephoto.com.au/

gtc wrote:
    hi all

i am currently framing my photos for a gallery exhibition early next year and i thought i would pass on some of my experiences-dont ask me to post as I am keeping these all to myself for the time being.

firstly,if you have some artist or photographer friends who frame regularly get them to recommend someone and get them to tell you rough pricings.

then,take in some of your work-if its any good the framer will see potential for future and repeat business and will try and form an ongoing business relationship.If they like your work they will want to help you-a lot of framers are artists themselves and will help if they can.

framers tend to collect returns and keep them for recycling-eg a customer changes their mind about a frame and gets it redone-the old,perfectly good frame then sits waiting for the framer to offer it to you,the budding photographer wth sales potential ,for "mates rates".

this gets your photo up for sale and the repeat business might be a little higher in cost with new frames,but if you are turning over then thats not such an issue.

the other factor important in keeping your costs under control eg negotiate a good price ,is to give them lots of lead time so that they can do your framing in slack times,rather than have your completion time conflicting with "top dollar" jobs.

also make sure your sizings are standard so that you don't cause problems in the measure up and mount cutting stage.

greg

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2005
    gtc wrote:
    hi all

greg
    Or learn to frame things yourself. I am just now putting together 11 framing projects. The total cost for everything for all 11 projects is going to be around the $650 mark.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2005
    keen
    gee your keen! $650 for how many frames?
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Or learn to frame things yourself. I am just now putting together 11 framing projects. The total cost for everything for all 11 projects is going to be around the $650 mark.

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    I have a matt cutter that i use and i buy Black mattes by the dozen. i cut it up. then i travel to my local Hobby Lobby or Micheal's and get the cheap put it together yourself stainless steel frames. about 10 bucks for whole metal frame. and i have a friend who gives me the glass

total per frame... $15ish *depending on size*
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    gtc wrote:
    gee your keen! $650 for how many frames?
    11 Nice frames, double matting for 9 of them, single matting for one; foam core, glass, the works for all of them. $650.

:D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    gtc wrote:
    i think that i will send my files to the edge-
    they get work from all round the world and look pretty good.the prices on metallic prints looks ok too,and they are just around the corner from my framer
    the edge address /
    I've heard they are good, and believe Digital Works in Hallam is equal or better. We've had a small amount done there and it looks fine, but mainly we had the chance to join a camera club on a behind the scenes tour and it is impressive to see. Plus they gave us all a good run-down on computer screen calibration, (and did not have good things to say about the Mac - made us feel cheerful as we've just bought two). Their metallic examples are terrific, haven't had anything done of it ourselves yet. Hoping to use metallic (if it looks right) on Puffing Billy shots, but still waiting to get permission to use the copyrighted engine names on the prints, the Railway is more than protective of the names but fair enough.

Getting our first poster-size print back tomorrow "can't wait". They are at www.digitalworks.net.au

Re framing - we also have the matt cutter, table, the works, but found it took too much time to be worthwhile, plus the space the frames/clamps/glues took up just not convenient.

A local art shop now frames our dog photos for the dog club people, at a special price - the fairly standard two-inch wooden frame, slightly "turned" (double matted) and these suit the dog action or portrait shots but would be less correct I guess for more art type images. We now have the offer to put a couple of our prints "in the window" but still in the process of deciding what and how - would like to use the train prints if we are allowed.

Edited to add:
    You'll keep us in the frame won't you about when and where your exhibition is to be?
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    11 Nice frames, double matting for 9 of them, single matting for one; foam core, glass, the works for all of them. $650.

:D
    Mike who did you order your frames from local or on line?
    I am also looking to do this
    Some local coffee shops have opened there doors to set up galleries here
    I have used some frame shops here around town and it's always been very expensive.

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2005
    thanks for the info-i will see about getting some quotes-the tour would have been interesting.the edge say that they calibrate their screens eight time a day-now thats committed.

my sister used to frame and i think she stopped for the same reasons you did

good luck with the train prints-you might need to give them a cut through some form of licensing arrangement

i will let you know when the exhibition is on -thanks for your interest

greg

I've heard they are good, and believe Digital Works in Hallam is equal or better. We've had a small amount done there and it looks fine, but mainly we had the chance to join a camera club on a behind the scenes tour and it is impressive to see. Plus they gave us all a good run-down on computer screen calibration, (and did not have good things to say about the Mac - made us feel cheerful as we've just bought two). Their metallic examples are terrific, haven't had anything done of it ourselves yet. Hoping to use metallic (if it looks right) on Puffing Billy shots, but still waiting to get permission to use the copyrighted engine names on the prints, the Railway is more than protective of the names but fair enough.

Getting our first poster-size print back tomorrow "can't wait". They are at www.digitalworks.net.au

Re framing - we also have the matt cutter, table, the works, but found it took too much time to be worthwhile, plus the space the frames/clamps/glues took up just not convenient.

A local art shop now frames our dog photos for the dog club people, at a special price - the fairly standard two-inch wooden frame, slightly "turned" (double matted) and these suit the dog action or portrait shots but would be less correct I guess for more art type images. We now have the offer to put a couple of our prints "in the window" but still in the process of deciding what and how - would like to use the train prints if we are allowed.

Edited to add:
    You'll keep us in the frame won't you about when and where your exhibition is to be?

• Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    I have not checked around lately....but these guys had the best price and service for metal frames.

http://www.framingsupplies.com/AluminumFrames/AlumimumFramePage.htm

I have used them for a few years now. They have good service and great prices and products. I use to buy pre-cut sections for building my frames. Now I buy the stock/bulk lengths and cut to fit (CP mitter saw and special blade). Also use them for my matboard (bulk again). Really blows the frame shops out of the water on price (and often quality). I suppose if/when I get some "standards" to my prints..I might order pre-cut mats in 4-5 sizes and the same with the frames. I'd order bulk again to same $$$$$ :D My favorite frame is the Nielsen profile 117. High quality framing material. Nice clean rich look to the frames. thumb.gif

Putting the frames together is pretty easy. You do need to purchase the hangers and springs/clips seperately for the metal frames. I have not used these guys for wood framing (yet). I don't use much wood. :uhoh

Happy framing
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    WaterfallRichWaterfallRich Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    I have not checked around lately....but these guys had the best price and service for metal frames.

http://www.framingsupplies.com/AluminumFrames/AlumimumFramePage.htm
    I am very fortunate to live within 1/2 hr drive to these folks in Hendersonville, NC. Prices are excellent and the quality is top notch. Here are highlights of a recent purchase to show some prices -

Precut double mats - you have to order $100 worth to get the discount. I got 30 16x20 to mat 11x14 prints. I use CR-SRM915 Fog for the outer and CR-SRM988 Williamsburg Green for the inner. Most of my images are waterfalls and this combo works well for me. The mats are not put together - I use double sided tape - but the cuts have been perfect. Price - $3.86 per double, total for 30 was $115.80

Mount board - I use CR-X. $2.48 per 36x40" sheet. If you are having this shipped, you have to order a case of 25, but the 25 can be a combo of mount board and/or different colors of mat board which is dirt cheap also.

Aluminum Framing - I ordered P-86-25 Satin Black. The framing is cut to length and I put it together. Corner hardware is included, but springs and hangers are extra -
    20" pieces - $6 for 2
    16" pieces - $4.86 for 2
    $10.86 per frame

Glass, TruVue clear - $54.37 for a case of 25 16x20

Hope this helps!