MINI_CHALLENGE # 289 : Flowing Liquid

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
edited September 1, 2019 in The Dgrin Challenges

This mini will feature the theme of flowing liquid, it can be water but doesn't have to be. Any liquid is fine as long as you can see flow or movement (not always easy in a still picture)

But there's a catch, since I'm travelling most of September this mini will run a little longer and therefore there's a special bonus for people going out and post new shots, taken after this challenge is launched. When you can't make it all three maybe try two or one, but I encourage you to go out and shoot new photos before diving into your archive.

Here's a few examples from me:

But I'm sure you can all do better :) (which is why I have chosen this theme)

Good luck, happy shooting and this mini will stay open until Friday September 27, 2019, midnight, NWE time.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used, but for this challenge new photo's are strongly encouraged.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next show.

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Great challenge Pieter! @pegelli Have a safe trip!

• HauerHauer Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2019

Some shots of a little stream located in Bavaria, Germany. Title - Flowing

D300 | Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G lens, 1.3 ~ 1.6s, f/16, ISO-100 (tripod mounted)

:)

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

Nikon gear & some lenses.
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Thanks for starting it off Herman, three great entries B)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Yosemite NP creek

Merced River outside of Yosemite

Palouse Falls, Washington

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Nice shots to start off with. Hope I can get some decent shots and join in!

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2019

@Herman Auer said:
    Some shots of a little stream located in Bavaria, Germany. Title - Flowing

D300 | Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G lens, 1.3 ~ 1.6s, f/16, ISO-100 (tripod mounted)

:)

Love the second one. I see a nose and mustache a la Teddy Roosevelt. LOL

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

I thought I was going to get out and shoot new material for this. But it hasn't worked out yet, so I will post a few of my favorites that I have on hand, and will edit later if I do end up going out for new images.
    1 Shoshone Falls

2 Hatcher's Pass

3 Waterfall fountain at Disney World Orlando, Florida

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2019

I finally got out to shoot some water. Not spectacular shots but all taken yesterday in our botanical gardens. It was fun to "shoot with a mission".

1) Make a splash

2) The kiss (use your imagination :) )

3) Solitary rock in vibrating water

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

We are heading to the mountains next week, so no opportunity before then for new pics, so I'll go ahead and share a couple of older ones. We're going back to the same area as these, so I'd probably duplicate these shots anyway if this mini were still running.... ;)

1. Creek below Anna Ruby Falls near Helen, Georgia

2. Dry Falls in North Carolina. You can actually walk behind the waterfall here. I did, and you can see a few drops of the spray that got on my lens. :)

3. Waterfall at Vogel State Park, Georgia

These are not entries, but I took them from behind Dry Falls (#2 above). I thought that was a really interesting place. I'm sure there are other waterfalls that one can walk behind and stay (mostly) dry, but this has been the only one that I have seen in person.

And this is what it looks like from the front:

Sherry P.

• DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

I too have been travelling, with the best of intentions to shoot new images of flowing water. Alas, there were no fountains, dramatic waterfalls or exciting streams. But I did manage to get some images may qualify

1.The Kettle River - a quiet stream in southwestern British Columbia

1. A Japanese glass float bobbing in the stream in my garden pond

1. Water flowing off the back of a pair of Northern resident killer whales

• lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins

Also been out of town & busy, no brand new shots, but these are all from this year.

1. Fairgrounds flooding - first of 3 floods this summer

2. Buckingham Fountain, Chicago

3. Hermann Park, Houston

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

I also hoped to get something new, but somehow I managed to fritter the time away. So, I decided to use photos from earlier this year that I hadn't posted anywhere before. Also, the first two were taken just 6 days before the challenge started so they are almost new...

1. Hogcamp Branch, Shenandoah National Park

Hogcamp Branch drains the Big Meadows Swamp and is a tributary of Rose River.

2. Dark Hollow Falls, Shenandoah National Park

Dark Hollow Falls is a 70 foot (21.3 meters) cascade on Hogcamp Branch

3. Fern Spring, Yosemite National Park

~~Barbara
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2019

I have been avoiding entering because while it was not specified, I do not like those time lapse photos of water that makes it look 'silky'. I don't like looking at them. I want to see the individual droplets of water flying around. So here is something that is a little different.

In a river, absent rocks and falls, the only way to tell that the water is moving is by looking at the "tails" on pilings or daymarks (unlighted aids to navigation).

1. Rhone River Daymark with a very long tail - The current in the river here is about 10 knots
    2. Leaking Lock Gate -This is a canal in England where we have just locked down. On the other side of the gate the water is up at the top

3. Cat Playing in Water -Our cat likes to stick his paws into the water coming from the faucet

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Thanks to all who have entered, this mini is now closed. I'll try to come up with the results today or tomorrow.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • GuyLeFleaGuyLeFlea Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    Shucks! As a new member, I was not able to post my most excellent water picture!