Classy Rides

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited September 30, 2019 in Other Cool Shots

Prior to WW II, the French produced some of the most beautiful cars ever made. This 1937 Talbot-Lago T 150 SS ranks up with the best of them.

1)

2)

3)

This beauty is a 1941 Packard 180. A Hollywood-based auto designer and fabricator, Howard Darrin, made a name for himself by taking stock vehicles and creating special cars for the wealthy and elite. This is one of the 50 Packards he modified in this configuration and it was called a Victoria. Clark Gable was a big fan of Packards and he bought one of the first Victoria productions. He owned the car for less than a month. He could not drive the car anywhere without being mobbed by fans grabbing at him. Clark was a consummate mechanic himself and he thought that the Darrin Victoria was not up to his quality expectations as far as the conversion work was considered. In his brief ownership period, he had one of the doors fly open during aggressive cornering.

4)

5)

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2019

Hmmm... Now I know where Jaguar got the idea for my old 52 Jag 120 Roadster...

Nice hardware...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/0712-La-Strada/n-R9DFL/i-bS32Vwt/0/d07149d8/O/i-bS32Vwt.jpg

Rags
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Love that Talbot, Tom!

@torags Hi Rags, your link doesn't work!

I put a new link there... hope it works...

Rags
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@torags said:

Nice hardware...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/0712-La-Strada/n-R9DFL/i-bS32Vwt/0/d07149d8/O/i-bS32Vwt.jpg

Hey, Rags. I've always loved that Jag series....120, 140, 150. In college, one of my fraternity brothers had a beautiful white 150. At the time, I was running a '57 Chevy. When my buddy had some nighttime activity planned that would benefit from a car with an accommodating rear seat, we would switch vehicles for the night. I spent a fair amount of time enjoying the Jag.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@sarasphotos said:
    Love that Talbot, Tom!

@torags Hi Rags, your link doesn't work!

I would have guessed, Sara, that the Talbot is right down your alley. It's right down mine too. It's a real shame that modern dictums preclude design work like these cars have. I've got to admit, though, I'm giving serious thought to snatching one of those new C8 Corvettes. Boy, I love their looks.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@torags said:
    I put a new link there... hope it works...

Yep - great car!

@black mamba said:

@torags said:

Nice hardware...

Hey, Rags. I've always loved that Jag series....120, 140, 150. In college, one of my fraternity brothers had a beautiful white 150. At the time, I was running a '57 Chevy. When my buddy had some nighttime activity planned that would benefit from a car with an accommodating rear seat, we would switch vehicles for the night. I spent a fair amount of time enjoying the Jag.

Hmmm... I didn't have a Chevy; I did what I had to do in the 120 Roadster... I'm glad there are no videos of the activities.... :#

Rags
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

I love red and grey one a lot! Cheers Tom!

edited October 14, 2019

@Stumblebum said:
    I love red and grey one a lot! Cheers Tom!

I have a vision, Taz. You and I cruzing the hills and dales in that Talbot. Unfortunately, we're probably a couple of million dollars short, buddy. Maybe I'll pray for a more affordable vision.