Options

Barentsburg, Spitsbergen / Svalbard

HauerHauer Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited September 24, 2019 in Journeys

Way up in the High North lies Spitsbergen / Svalbard which is located approximately 1100km from the Noth Pole. Barentsburg is a Russian settlement currently occupied by Russian, Chechen and Ukrainian coal miners and their families.
Miners are transported by helicopter from Longyearbyen Airport to Barentsburg Heliport v.v. A Russian Consulate is situated here as well.

Nikon D300

:)

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

Nikon gear & some lenses.

Comments

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Wow...Herman, awesome photos!! What an interesting, exciting and unique location. I suspect that one could shoot in this location for days. The changing light, seasons, etc., would make each week something different. Very colorful buildings and look like you had excellent weather to boot.

Extra kudos for the D300! Not many of us around, I suspect, that still use this reliable kit.

Thank you for sharing these images!!

• Options
    HauerHauer Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins

Thanks for commenting, El Gato. It appears that Spitsbergen Travel has been taken over by the Hurtigruten Group. At the time, Spitsbergen Travel was the organiser of all local tours.

For possibilities, I suggest you take a look at the website: www.hurtigrutensvalbard.com

Cheers - Herman

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

Nikon gear & some lenses.
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Thank you Herman...

I will investigate the Hurtigruten Group and the link.

Much appreciated!!