Maps: Google Earth beta for Mac OS X

colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited December 10, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hey MacSmugmappers...check out what turned up today on MacUpdate.com: A beta of Google Earth for Macs! It seems to run well enough on my PowerBook so far, and I was able to transfer My Places from Google Earth on my PC to my Mac in seconds over my home network by using the Save As command in Google Earth and XP folder sharing. I no longer have to turn on my PC just to get some quick, precise coordinates for smugmaps. Looks like I just got my first Christmas present of the season!

Le link:
http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/20124

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 9, 2005
    sweet! I've been waiting for this nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    I love Google. Been waiting for this - just installed it, and works a treat! Now I can finally use the Google Earth feeds button on the bottom of my SmugMug page clap.gif
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    Cool!
    colourbox wrote:
    Hey MacSmugmappers...check out what turned up today on MacUpdate.com: A beta of Google Earth for Macs! It seems to run well enough on my PowerBook so far, and I was able to transfer My Places from Google Earth on my PC to my Mac in seconds over my home network by using the Save As command in Google Earth and XP folder sharing. I no longer have to turn on my PC just to get some quick, precise coordinates for smugmaps. Looks like I just got my first Christmas present of the season!

Le link:
    http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/20124

Thank you for posting this. I'm going to give it a try!
    edited December 9, 2005
    Help!
    Dee wrote:
    Thank you for posting this. I'm going to give it a try!

O.K., I must be really dense today. I downloaded google earth -- it's on my desktop on my Mac. What do I do with it????
    edited December 9, 2005
    Tiger only
    Dee wrote:
    O.K., I must be really dense today. I downloaded google earth -- it's on my desktop on my Mac. What do I do with it????

Figured it out. I don't have Tiger yet Mac OSX 10.4
    edited December 10, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Figured it out. I don't have Tiger yet Mac OSX 10.4

Dee, you need to upgrade! Man, this is the coolest. You can fly around, at ground level, all over the globe! I haven't used Google Earth since I had the peecee version about 6 months ago-- they've added a ton of higher res imagery!

thumb.gif

47712674-L-0.jpg
    edited December 10, 2005
    Check on Grand Central Terminal:

47713368-L-0.jpg

47427555-M.jpg
  • petermazpetermaz Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    No Tiger = No Worky hope a panther version comes along.
    rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 10, 2005
    Looks like fun
    I think my machine can run Tiger, but I'm not sure my G3 can :-(

Looks like fun! I was at California Coastline

Comparing my town from 1972 (before the pier) and discovered he made another pass at the coast this year.

I downloaded an aerial photo of the tunnel construction on Devil's Slide -- we can never see what's going on from the highway.

Love aerial views! I should have taken up flying!
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Dee, I'm running Tiger on an iBook G3 800MHz with 640mb of RAM. It works good. Other than with Windows, next versions of the OS most of the time work a bit better on older hardware, in stead of slower.
    enjoy being here while getting there