Want to sell random pictures online. Not sure where to start.

fizzyfizzyfizzofizzyfizzyfizzo Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
Hi, I'm thinking of selling some of my photos online and am looking for inspiration on how to lay them out on a website. Wondering if anyone could assist?

My main problem is I just can't figure out what'd work best. I have around 75 pictures to sell. And they're very random! There might be a few flower shots, a few from Sydney, a few from the USA and some scenic beach pictures from my local town etc etc.

Feels silly separating them out into categories (eg; USA, Flowers, Sydney) because there isn't enough photos for each.

But then if I splat them out on a single page I'm not sure if that'd work either as there's too many!

Just wondering what others do in similar situations. Hope you don't mind me asking.

THANKS

Comments

• bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins

I think it depends how you're going to market those photos. Do you expect someone who comes to your site to be interested in all of your photos? Or would you market your travel shots (Sydney, USA, etc) to specific audiences? On SmugMug (at least), you could upload everything to the same Gallery (so they're intermingled), so that someone can view everything. You could then create specific Galleries for each category of photo, and Collect your photos into those Galleries - to make virtual copies, making it easier for someone looking for a specific type of photo, to find it.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

Keep in mind that posting photos on your web site does not draw focus to your site to help sell the photos. You will need to drive attention to your site in order to sell, a marketing effort is needed.

• bobbyherobobbyhero Registered Users Posts: 207 Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:
    Keep in mind that posting photos on your web site does not draw focus to your site to help sell the photos. You will need to drive attention to your site in order to sell, a marketing effort is needed.

This is 100% spot-on. Social media, blogs, Instagram - all of those are great avenues for feeding traffic to your site. Don't expect people will 'just find' your site via search engines - at least, not the high quality leads you really want.