That ol' moon...

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

It's been photographed and presented countless times. Our perspective of it never changes. Yet here I sit with my own shot of this neighboring nightlight, from a rented 400mm Sony lens, through the clear night sky in the Smoky Mountains. So, I offer it up to you all :)

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Superb! What did you do? Education please!

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

We never get tired of looking at it when it's photographed as well as this.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@Stumblebum said:
    Superb! What did you do? Education please!

Ok, here's the true story way it went down...

Step 1: Old Fashioned x 3 (bourbon, bitters, splash of water, filthy cherry, on the rocks)
    Step 2: Shot of Tennessee moonshine X 1
    Step 3: Walk out the back door onto the deck, look at the moon, and say, 'Lemme grab my camera, I can do this before I head off to bed!'
    Step 4: Set up the camera as best I could in an inebriated state, hand-hold that sucker and let 'er rip. See metadata below :smile:

Tv: 1/1000sec
    Av: 5.6
    ISO: 200
    EV bias: 0
    Meter: Highlights only
    In camera stabilization: ON
    Optical stabilization (lens): ON

Essentially, I just made sure I could see the details, and that the shutter was somewhere close to 2x the 35mm focal equivalent (400mm lens X 1.5 crop mode = 600mm equiv). I love having a full frame sensor with 42.5 megapixels, because you can shoot in 1.5x crop mode yet still come out with an 18mp image.

@Cornflake said:

Mahalo!!!

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Oh man, I need to get the proper ingredients! Don't have none of bourbon or btters right now!!!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

@Cornflake said:

I agree. I'm a moon fan. Since I moved to Brazil I found out that our perspective does change, look https://photos.smugmug.com/Unlisted/Dgrin-forum/i-mPNQHRg/0/3f058bc1/X2/untitled-1511-X2.jpg

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@Juano said:

@Cornflake said:

I agree. I'm a moon fan. Since I moved to Brazil I found out that our perspective does change, look https://photos.smugmug.com/Unlisted/Dgrin-forum/i-mPNQHRg/0/3f058bc1/X2/untitled-1511-X2.jpg

Well, color me excited to learn a new thing!

• GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Good shoot of the Moon, and good info, I also like Cristobal's shot from below the Equator. the Moon wobbles a lot, I too love to shoot the moon (but since it is not good etiquette to post pix on other people post) I will create a new discussion with some samples.