The Kalan

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

The motor vessel "Kalan" (russ. калан, english "Sea Otter") was a patrol boat on the Don River during the times of the Soviet Union and after the Soviet's collapse. Its task was to control fishing quotes and illegal fishing in the region. Since a couple of years, it just sits on the shore line near Konstantinovsk in the Rostov Region, rotting. Today, it is used as the base for river lifeguards of the neighbouring beach during summer, who spend their time on the quarterdeck playing cards and drinking tea when they are not about to rescue someone.

1. From the front

1. The Bridge, through the bushes

1. Detail view

1. Back view from the river

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Comments

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

These are interesting! Wonder how image #1 might look rendered in black and white. Interesting geography/location to photograph too. Thank you for posting these.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Its a sweet find! Explore angle where other stuff is minimized or cloned out and wait for interesting weather, ideally half hour before and after sunrise and sunset and SCORE!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2019

Discarded rusty old stuff is right down my alley. #1 is the best here.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Well done. I particularly like the third one.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Thanks for the feedback, guys, much appreciated!

@Stumblebum said:
    Its a sweet find! Explore angle where other stuff is minimized or cloned out and wait for interesting weather, ideally half hour before and after sunrise and sunset and SCORE!

I'm visiting the region once a year for family business, so next year, I might be lucky (and wise) enough to follow your tips! I agree that the harsh sunlight the pictures were shot are not optimal - and I have not learned from the times I've been there (all pictures I captured from that boat during the last years are at bright sunlight). The Don region indeed has to offer some spectacular sunrises and sunsets, maybe I should just show some discipline next time instead of sleeping long in the morning or starting to booze early in the afternoon :#

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

A nice set. #3 is a prime subject for some "Rust Junkie" treatment.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • HauerHauer Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins

Very nice...

😀

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

Nikon gear & some lenses.

Thank you guys! May I ask what is a "Rust Junkie" treatment, @roaddog52 ?

edited November 16, 2019

@kurzvorzwoelf said:
    Thank you guys! May I ask what is a "Rust Junkie" treatment, @roaddog52 ?

kurzvorzwoelf, Basically, you take an image of a rusted subject, and manipulate the sliders in photoshop, to come up with something new, and abstract.

Go to the top of the page on the right side, and type in rust junkie in the search box. You should find many examples.

Phil

@roaddog52 said:

kurzvorzwoelf, Basically, you take an image of a rusted subject, and manipulate the sliders in photoshop, to come up with something new, and abstract.

Thanks! Actually I had kind of that shot on my disk for a while that I kinda like, but never uploaded. Have I done it right? https://www.kurzvorzwoelf.com/Galleries/Multichromatic/Fine-Art/i-jXQt4Mg/A (it's not the Kalan, tho).

I like it. There really is no right, or no wrong. It's all art.

Phil