Dim quoted text

JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

In the last day or two, I've noticed that quoted text is being shown in a dark gray that presents limited contrast with the black background. It's hard to read. Is there some way to return it to what I think was a lighter, higher-contrasting gray?

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

@Jtring said:
    In the last day or two, I've noticed that quoted text is being shown in a dark gray that presents limited contrast with the black background. It's hard to read. Is there some way to return it to what I think was a lighter, higher-contrasting gray?

Testing for a look-see....

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited November 29, 2019

Yes, I see what you mean. And the big white quote bar to the left of the quote is **much **larger too. I think this is internal to this forum's chosen theme colors. Perhaps Vanilla made some changes lately to the theme we and just now discovering. I agree it is not so easy to read the quoted darker grey font color. Highlighting the quote with your mouse's text bar helps the readability but is a pain to do.

Maybe Richard can do a deeper dive into this?

Edit: Is the normal font a bit brighter also?

My Smugmug
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2019

Up a level in Recent Discussions I now have three threads that I've read that still have the green boxes with "new" in them.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

@David_S85 said:
    Yes, I see what you mean. And the big white quote bar to the left of the quote is **much **larger too. I think this is internal to this forum's chosen theme colors. Perhaps Vanilla made some changes lately to the theme we and just now discovering. I agree it is not so easy to read the quoted darker grey font color. Highlighting the quote with your mouse's text bar helps the readability but is a pain to do.

I agree that the quoted text seems to have less contrast. I don't much care for the white bar either. @Allen is correct that the New designation on the Discussions page does not seem to be clearing after opening the thread. None of this stuff is under our control, so I'll see what Vanilla has to say--the New thing is definitely a bug.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@Allen said:
    Up a level in Recent Discussions I now have three threads that I've read that still have the green boxes with "new" in them.

Hopefully Vanilla will fix this - but for now I have been using "mark all viewed" to clear the "new" entry after I have read everything.

It looks like they have fixed the New problem.

@Richard said:
    It looks like they have fixed the New problem.

It looks like it is only partially fixed. Threads I noticed that remained new before are now behaving, but this one is now showing that behavior for me -
    https://dgrin.com/discussion/265824/digital-frame-w-smugmug-integration#latest

@denisegoldberg said:
    It looks like it is only partially fixed.

Good catch, Denise. You're right. I tried replying in that thread and it started behaving correctly, but the behavior was wrong when it had 0 replies. Stay tuned.

• JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

@Richard said:

@David_S85 said:

I agree that the quoted text seems to have less contrast. I don't much care for the white bar either. @Allen is correct that the New designation on the Discussions page does not seem to be clearing after opening the thread. None of this stuff is under our control, so I'll see what Vanilla has to say--the New thing is definitely a bug.

Is there any way to encourage Vanilla to return to the more contrasy quoted text? 2-1/2 months after the discussion above, my eyeballs are still complaining about current approach.

@Jtring said:

Is there any way to encourage Vanilla to return to the more contrasy quoted text? 2-1/2 months after the discussion above, my eyeballs are still complaining about current approach.

Jim,
    I've passed your comment on to Vanilla. Is it my imagination or does the color of the font in the text box also have less contrast than it used to? Might just be my eyes.

edited February 15, 2020

@Richard said:
    I've passed your comment on to Vanilla. Is it my imagination or does the color of the font in the text box also have less contrast than it used to? Might just be my eyes.

You may be right, but it's hard for me to judge too. It's been a while since it changed. It's not as bad as the quoted text though, which is especially troublesome on a post like this where the response really only makes sense in the context of the almost-invisible quotation.

We made the quoted text brighter, but still less bright than the comment text. It looks better to me. Oh, and the quote bar is back to green. What do you think?

@Richard said:
    We made the quoted text brighter, but still less bright than the comment text. It looks better to me. Oh, and the quote bar is back to green. What do you think?

It looks better to me too Richard, thanks!

edited February 16, 2020

@Richard said:

Way better. You're a hero, Richard! Did Vanilla supply a fix or did you just adjust the CSS?

@Jtring said:
    Way better. You're a hero, Richard! Did Vanilla supply a fix or did you just adjust the CSS?

They supplied the green bar fix and pointed me at the right place to change the font in the CSS.

Lots better! Thanks, Richard.

My Smugmug