Last Life

kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

I found some beauty amongst the dying nature during an afternoon walk.

1:

2:

As always, C&C much appreciated.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I like both shots but if it were me I might crop both of them a bit closer so that the subjects are a bit larger in relation to the empty space. I also find the colors slightly funky - the greens are really very grey-looking although I love that orangey-background in the 1st picture.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

@sarasphotos said:
    I like both shots but if it were me I might crop both of them a bit closer so that the subjects are a bit larger in relation to the empty space. I also find the colors slightly funky - the greens are really very grey-looking although I love that orangey-background in the 1st picture.

Thank you for stopping by and dropping some feedback, Sara!

Initially, I liked the idea of giving pretty much empty space around the subjects mainly because I did like the bokeh, but now as I have done 1:1 crops I think you might be right. Crops follow:

Regarding the greyish leaves, you are right and I played heavily with the colors this time to give the pictures a little more dramatic look and to support the "dying" theme. On the other hand, maybe excluding the subjects from the color grading might be a good idea.

As a reference, these are the (almost) out-of-cam pictures (same crop as previous pics in this comment):

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Hi K,

I like the 1:1 crops, on the toning I like the flowers toned down, but I prefer the fruit in the out of camera version.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

What Cristobal said.

• kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

@Juano said:
    I like the 1:1 crops, on the toning I like the flowers toned down, but I prefer the fruit in the out of camera version.

@Cornflake said:
    What Cristobal said.

Thanks for your feedback, guys! I came up with the following for the fruit:

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I do really like the crops and tend to agree with Don and Cristóbal about the colors, although the red of the "corrected" flowers is still a bit warm for my taste. That being said, I recognize how difficult it is to capture and represent that particular color, especially at this time of year with the cold grey light.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

In my mind if you’re going for the end of life theme I would opt for cooler tones. Therefore, I still prefer the original out of camera version. You could tweak that one keeping it on the cool side.

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

@Juano said:
    In my mind if you’re going for the end of life theme I would opt for cooler tones. Therefore, I still prefer the original out of camera version. You could tweak that one keeping it on the cool side.

I agree.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!