Options

Sandhills in Flight

RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
edited December 11, 2005 in Wildlife
A few shots from the Cosumnes River Preserve near Sacramento. The Sandhills will be there for the next month or two in the thousands. Not that easy to get close to but pretty easy to get in flight shots. The Sandhills make really good for in flight practice as they are big and pretty slow moving. Well worth the trip.

47470796-L.jpg
EXIF

47470827-L.jpg
EXIF

47470874-L.jpg
EXIF

Thanks for looking,

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    so not like a kingfisher ne_nau.gif:D very good shots steve but sac is still to far for a drive :uhoh
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Nice captures, Steve. Were they with the 500mm? I need to shoot me some of these birds ..also. headscratch.gif For all the birds that are suppose to be down here....I sure don't see a large variety. Same ole same ole.

thumb.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Excellent shots Steve. We got sandhills all over our devlopment down here. They are like lawn decorations. They frequently bring traffic to standstill as they cross the road. They are beautiful in flight and you captured them well. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    so not like a kingfisher ne_nau.gif:D very good shots steve but sac is still to far for a drive :uhoh
    Thanks Jeff. Understandable why you wouldn't want to drive that far. Although I am considering a trip to check out Bolsa. Whatever happened to those $99 flights :cry
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    Nice captures, Steve. Were they with the 500mm? I need to shoot me some of these birds ..also. headscratch.gif For all the birds that are suppose to be down here....I sure don't see a large variety. Same ole same ole.

thumb.gif
    Thanks Mike. Yep they were with the 500 with a 1.4TC. I shot these handheld. I hope to get down there again next week to try and get better shots with a tripod.

I like shooting different subjects as well. Variety is the spice of life! :D
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Excellent shots Steve. We got sandhills all over our devlopment down here. They are like lawn decorations. They frequently bring traffic to standstill as they cross the road. They are beautiful in flight and you captured them well. thumb.gif
    Thanks Harry, I envy your nearness to so many birds. But I don't envy your humidity!
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    I like shooting different subjects as well. Kinda get tired of seeing shots of Egrets and Herons sometimes. Although a good capture is always worth looking at. :D

Hey Steve
    the last line saved you from the wrath of Harry :wow rolleyes1.gif :lol4

us So. Westies never see a Sandhill in the wild and yours were soothing to my eyes. thumb.gif

Hopefully if things go well this afternoon, Jeff and I will have some Egrets and Herons to dazzle your eyes :lol4 :lol thumb.gifne_nau.gif:D
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Thanks Jeff. Understandable why you wouldn't want to drive that far. Although I am considering a trip to check out Bolsa. Whatever happened to those $99 flights :cry
    they went ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif I will keep looking You may want to hold off on bolsa for a bit it is real slow but if you do come down we will take you to a few spots thumb.gif with no birds of course Ben and I are very competitive rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif pm me and we can talk on the phone if you want
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Hey Steve
    the last line saved you from the wrath of Harry :wow rolleyes1.gif :lol4

us So. Westies never see a Sandhill in the wild and yours were soothing to my eyes. thumb.gif

Hopefully if things go well this afternoon, Jeff and I will have some Egrets and Herons to dazzle your eyes :lol4 :lol thumb.gifne_nau.gif:D
    Dang, you caught that quote before I edited it. :uhoh After I posted it, I had second thoughts, was concerned others may take offense. I sure don't want to discourage any posts or to offend anyone. And I truly do feel that all good shots, no matter what the subject are worth looking at.

Respectfully,
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Dang, you caught that quote before I edited it. :uhoh After I posted it, I had second thoughts, was concerned others may take offense. I sure don't want to discourage any posts or to offend anyone. And I truly do feel that all good shots, no matter what the subject are worth looking at.

Respectfully,
    Belive me no offense would ever be taken :D
    At least not from me .............. Jeff and Harry are the sensitive ones rolleyes1.gifblbl.gif :lol4
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    love the 3rd one.thumb.gif great captures.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Nice shots and very detailed.

Great job in capturing these birds.
  • Options
    aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Beautiful crisp shots and a lovely presentation.

Michal
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Belive me no offense would ever be taken :D
    At least not from me .............. Jeff and Harry are the sensitive ones rolleyes1.gifblbl.gif :lol4
    :hide
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    Thank you for your kind words Dennis, Daniel and Michal

:D
  • Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2005
    Rohirrim wrote:
    Thanks Harry, I envy your nearness to so many birds. But I don't envy your humidity!

we actually have sand hills that live in our back field in the summer (in minnesota). they are so elegant when they fly over, but i don't have a camera to do them justice.
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff