No Easy Way to Dismount a Bucking Bull...

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Rags

Comments

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Fantastic set! I always prefer action imagery to contain signs of action, such as motion blur, or hair (in this case fringes) stopped in time. You did a marvelous job of combining both elements to convey emotion of what it's like to be there, seeing it with my own eyes. Thank you for sharing!

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

I love the action...I can feel the energy.

The hallmark of a memorable photo...an ability to communicate feelings through an image.

Well done!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Really nice work, Rags. Last year while in Cody, Wyoming, at a major rodeo, I was treated to a vantage point right on top of the chutes where action like this all starts. You could cut the tension and drama with a knife, starting when the rider first mounted the beast and tried to ready himself for the hell awaiting him. These shots do a great job of showing just what can happen when the chute opens.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Thanks for all your kind comments; they're really appreciated...

These dudes are really courageous...

Rags
    edited December 27, 2019

Rags,

While he was waiting for his turn to come up, I got to talking to a young guy ( he was 24 ) about the dangers he faced when trying to ride these bulls. After he had detailed some of the injuries he has received, I felt an urge to change the subject. When asked what really motivated him to continue doing this, his answer was simple.....money. He said all he's ever done is cowboying.... doesn't know how to do anything else. Bull riding is the only way he can hope to earn some extra bucks. I wished him well....he was a nice young man. When his time came up, he lasted all of 4 seconds.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Great action set Rags! My favorite is 1

@black mamba said:
    Rags,

While he was waiting for his turn to come up, I got to talking to a young guy ( he was 24 ) about the dangers he faced when trying to ride these bulls. After he had detailed some of the injuries he has received, I felt an urge to change the subject. When asked what really motivated him to continue doing this, his answer was simple.....money. He said all he's ever done is cowboying.... doesn't know how to do anything else. Bull riding is the only way he can hope to earn some extra bucks. I wished him well....he was a nice young man. When his time came up, he lasted all of 4 seconds.

Sometimes a bull wants to gore the rider... this chap had a particularly bad day....

Rags

That is an outstanding sequence of shots above. I can't begin to describe the tension you feel when you're sitting barely 20 feet from action like this. That #3 shot has as much drama as I've ever seen in a photo. The bravery shown by the guys trying to help the rider here....as well as other riders throughout the event....defies belief.

For me, the tension is heightened, because you know what CAN happen and when it does.. ugh...

Rags
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Great action series, Rags.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Really excellent job catching the action and cropping in to show the full context of the moment plus the intimacy of bull and rider.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

thanks for the kind comments...

Rags