Orion Nebula

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

Well I've had this mount long enough to get tired of trying with a subpar lens. So, the Canon EF 75-300 has been retired, as I picked up a 100-400mm Sony G Master upgrade!

Tonight is the first time trying the stacking game with deep sky imaging. After this project, I have a whole new respect for the space pic pros. Lotta work, hopefully it's all improvement from here.

Enjoy!

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Oh wow!!!! Superb.

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins

@Juano said:
    Oh wow!!!! Superb.

Thank you Juano@. This was indeed a fun project, and I'm looking forward to more deep sky object imaging to come!

• FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins

What support/drive did you use, if you do not mind being asked?

It's beautiful by the way. And having just gotten a long Sony lens am quite interested. :)

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited December 27, 2019

Ah, yes! Much improved, though your last thread and resulting photo was way beyond amateur too. Time to begin posting at a dedicated Astronomy sub forum, methinks; perhaps at POTN where a lot of amateur astronomers hang out. Though,... please don't stop posting these here too! ;)

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Very nice!

Wonderful deep sky image!!

Ah...you're hooked now.

Looking forward to seeing more of your images, as you venture deeper into the exciting field of astro-photography.

@Ferguson said:
    What support/drive did you use, if you do not mind being asked?

It's beautiful by the way. And having just gotten a long Sony lens am quite interested. :)

Thank you! I used the Camrote app on my phone for remote trigger. You can pre-program shutter speeds up into the hours-long range if needed. The lights & darks were shot at 1min intervals. For post processing, I used Astro Pixel Processor. This set included lights, darks, flats & bias frames, all merged & blended in that processor.

@David_S85 said:
    Ah, yes! Much improved, though your last thread and resulting photo was way beyond amateur too. Time to begin posting at a dedicated Astronomy sub forum, methinks; perhaps at POTN where a lot of amateur astronomers hang out. Though,... please don't stop posting these here too! ;)

I'll be sure to check out POTN, thank you! And still, I'll post here :)

@El Gato said:
    Very nice!

Wonderful deep sky image!!

Ah...you're hooked now.

Looking forward to seeing more of your images, as you venture deeper into the exciting field of astro-photography.

Mahalo, and yes, I'm already scoping out other targets, but first I'll try this one once more, using the 1.4x teleconverter for just a tad bit more reach. 1,400+ lightyears is hella-far!!

But what do you use as a drive on your camera support, i.e. to track the stars as they move? I'm assuming you must have some sort of polar drive? Or is your lens riding on a telescope?

@Ferguson said:
    But what do you use as a drive on your camera support, i.e. to track the stars as they move? I'm assuming you must have some sort of polar drive? Or is your lens riding on a telescope?

Thanks for clarifying, I see what I was about your earlier question. 👀

I use a Skywatcher Star Adventurer for tracking. It holds my A7riii + 100-400mm just fine, plenty enough adjustment for total balance.

Thank you. One could hope you would share a secret how to handhold these, but I guess not. I keep avoiding buying something like this, as when I do I will stop getting sleep. :)

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2019

Cool! As well as technically excellent.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

@willard3 said:
    Cool! As well as technically excellent.

Thank you!

@Ferguson said:
    Thank you. One could hope you would share a secret how to handhold these, but I guess not. I keep avoiding buying something like this, as when I do I will stop getting sleep. :)

Haha, noper...you're just gonna have to go ahead and indulge before you get too old to stay up late. :open_mouth:

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Great JBR!