Way back in the " holler "

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Nice place! I like the first shot a lot.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Sweet feeling!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@Juano said:
    Nice place! I like the first shot a lot.

Thanks, buddy. I hope you have a fantastic 2020.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@Stumblebum said:
    Sweet feeling!

Thanks, Taz. Somtimes I really long for a less hurried lifestyle. A place like this might fit the bill. :)

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins

Beautiful place. Looks like someone is living there.

@Dogdots said:
    Beautiful place. Looks like someone is living there.

I was visiting a family's pottery operation tucked away in a gorge not too far from Blowing Rock, NC. I was told about this place and advised that the owner had been recently admitted to an assisted care facility. The folks knew the owner's family and assured me that it would be OK if I went out and poked around this place. It took me a little while to find it. Directions in those mountains can be a little nebulous: " Go down that road and take the first right on that dirt trail past the abandoned church. Go past the second pond on the left until you see the three big oak stumps. Turn right on that trail and go until you cross the wooden bridge. Park there and walk up the ridge on the left. You can't miss it. "

I'm sorry to hear the owner had recently been admitted to an assisted care facility. Love the directions!! Did you get a picture of the wooden bridge? You definitely found a piece of heaven.

@Dogdots said:
    I'm sorry to hear the owner had recently been admitted to an assisted care facility. Love the directions!! Did you get a picture of the wooden bridge? You definitely found a piece of heaven.

No, I didn't shoot the bridge, Mary. Those wooden, rickety, one-lane bridges over narrow streams are all over the place up there. Sometimes I balk at going over some of those things....more than once I've passed on doing so. The bridge we're talking about here, though, never gave me pause.

Those bridges sound scary, but interesting also. There have been a few here I'll walk over, but never drive over. A lot of history in those old one-lane bridges.

@Dogdots said:
    Those bridges sound scary, but interesting also. There have been a few here I'll walk over, but never drive over. A lot of history in those old one-lane bridges.

The next time I'm up there, I'll be sure and shoot a few of them for you. Like I said, they're pretty common. But, as a road sees more and more use, some of the " golden oldies " are giving way to concrete. Just like the old barns I chase, those silent witnesses to a time gone by are slowly disappearing from the landscape. It's a shame because their stories go with them.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

Neat find, Tom! I love those directions - we sent a lot of folks out verifying addresses for the Census this past summer with directions like that!

edited January 7, 2020

@moose135 said:
    Neat find, Tom! I love those directions - we sent a lot of folks out verifying addresses for the Census this past summer with directions like that!

Hey, John. If you don't become adept at deciphering the vernacular of some of the real dark-woods mountain folks, getting around can become problematical at best.

Are you planning on making the Daytona 24 Hours race? When the Brumos Porsche folks sold their dealer network, I lost my source for a pass that got me in anywhere I wanted to go. If you make it down, I hope y'all will have good weather this time. BTW, if you have an interest in such history, you NEED to get the recent book by Hurley Haywood. At $100 bucks, it's not inexpensive but it's an insight into racing at the highest international levels by a guy who has done it all. If you want the book, I'll be glad to get one from Hurley for you and have him sign it. It's a truly illuminating read.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

We can't wait for the Rolex! I'm hoping we don't get quite as much rain as we did last time, I think we were soggy for a week afterwards! Let me think about Hurley's book - it sounds fascinating, but I need to see how the finances go. I'll let you know.

@black mamba said:

@Dogdots said:

The next time I'm up there, I'll be sure and shoot a few of them for you. Like I said, they're pretty common. But, as a road sees more and more use, some of the " golden oldies " are giving way to concrete. Just like the old barns I chase, those silent witnesses to a time gone by are slowly disappearing from the landscape. It's a shame because their stories go with them.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the bridges.

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Very cool, Tom! Happy New Year!

Lauren

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

@redleash said:
    Very cool, Tom! Happy New Year!

Lauren

Same to you, Lauren. I'm hoping that both you and Mary will be more active on the forum this year. You each have capabilities and perspectives in your photographic work that need to be shared with all of us.

Tom I hope to post more this year.