Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Announcement

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
edited October 24, 2019 in Cameras

From: https://usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2019/20191024-development/20191024-development

Powerful, Faster And Rugged: Canon Announces The Development Of The EOS-1D X Mark III Camera

MELVILLE, NY, October 24, 2019 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced that its parent company, Canon Inc. is developing the highly anticipated Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Camera – the successor to the world-renowned and award-winning EOS-1D X Mark II. Ideal for sports and wildlife, the flagship DSLR is being engineered and designed using feedback from the worldwide community of EOS-1D X and EOS-1D X Mark II photographers. Continuing Canon’s rich heritage of creating first-rate optical products, the EOS-1D X Mark III offers an enhanced autofocus system, with dramatically improved still and video image quality and communication. When using this camera, professionals will have the confidence they will get ‘the shot’ and can deliver it at a competitive speed – faster than ever before – ideal for the increasingly fast-paced industry.

“The innovations put forth by the new EOS-1D X Mark III will set the new standard for professional DSLR cameras and further cement Canon’s commitment to its professional photographers,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “In developing the new camera, Canon listened to extensive user-feedback from professionals out in the field. The result is a camera that has evolved from its predecessor and maintained the overall quality that professional photographers have come to expect from the Canon EOS-1D series.”

Need for Speed

The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III will be blisteringly fast - offering exceptional precision, reliability, high-performance autofocus and subject tracking – providing photographers with a tool that will help to capture the shot they are chasing. The camera’s new autofocus algorithm will improve stability and tracking when using both the Optical Viewfinder and in Live View shooting mode, using Deep Learning Technology and adapting to help facilitate accurate focus tracking for every shot. When using the optical viewfinder the camera will use a new autofocus sensor, with approximately 28 times the resolution in the center of the EOS-1D X Mark II. Offering the ability to autofocus in even brighter and darker situations than before and with greater precision, the camera will have a range of autofocus capabilities, which will enable the photographer to get their shot. In Live View mode, users will be able to make use of 525 AF areas using the Dual Pixel CMOS AF system will cover approximately 90x100 percent of the image sensor. The camera will support significantly faster frame rates with full AF and AE, using either the optical viewfinder (up to approximately 16fps mechanical shutter) or Live View (up to approximately 20fps mechanical or electronic shutter). Additionally, the camera’s dual CFexpress card slots will enable more than five times the RAW burst depth of its predecessor.

Powered to Dominate

The development of EOS-1D X Mark III is a clear example of Canon’s commitment to pushing the boundaries of innovative imaging products featuring optically excellent technology. The camera will support an all new, Canon-developed, CMOS sensor and DIGIC processor, that will deliver greater image quality, at even higher ISOs, with the ability to capture stills in 10-bit using the HEIF (High Efficiency Image File) file format. HEIF produces wider dynamic range and greater color representation compared to JPEG. The power of 4K resolution brings stories to life – shoot 4K videos including 4K60p with 10-bit 4:2:2 Canon Log internal recording.

Conveniently Connected

For professionals, content delivery is just as important as image capture – the EOS-1D X Mark III will make it easy, featuring built-in Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® low-energy connectivity in addition to GPS technology. To keep pace with ever-shortening deadlines, the camera will transfer data at more than twicei the speed of the EOS-1D X Mark II when using the built-in Ethernet connection, or the new optional wireless file transmitter – the WFT-E9, which is also compatible with Canon’s recently launched Cinema EOS C500 Mark II camera. Coupled with simpler network set-up the camera will greatly enhance the professional workflow.

A Familiar Feel with Improved Attributes

Existing EOS-1D series users will be familiar and comfortable handling the EOS-1D X Mark III allowing seamless navigation with trusted ergonomics – whilst the magnesium alloy body will offer the durability expected from Canon’s EOS-1D cameras. Professional photographers can trust the same impressive build-quality as the EOS-1D X Mark II – with phenomenal weather-sealing, standing up to harsh conditions, including wind, rain and humidity. With incredible low-light shooting capabilities, the camera will now feature select illuminated buttons that allow for precision operation in challenging, dark and dimly lit conditions. The camera will also offer a new additional control for selecting AF points, built into the AF-ON button, allowing photographers to change AF points on-the-fly for the best composition – further helping to simplify their work. In addition, dramatically improved battery life – with the same LP-E19 – will allow professionals to shoot for longer periods of time, without having to change batteries, helping reduce the chance of missing a shot.

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins

So the consensus seems to be that this will have a 20 megapixel sensor like the last model. You know, for 6000 euros I'd expect that Canon would release a flagship DSLR that didn't have lower resolution than the 5d mk II that I bought eleven years ago but hey, that's Canon these days. Anybody who lives in Europe and is interested in acquiring some nice L glass in EF mount format, let me know, because I'm in the market to sell.

Cave ab homine unius libri
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@Justiceiro said:
    So the consensus seems to be that this will have a 20 megapixel sensor like the last model. You know, for 6000 euros I'd expect that Canon would release a flagship DSLR that didn't have lower resolution than the 5d mk II that I bought eleven years ago but hey, that's Canon these days. Anybody who lives in Europe and is interested in acquiring some nice L glass in EF mount format, let me know, because I'm in the market to sell.

The consensus from who? Can you supply a link? The resolution has not been announced, and not even a token bump in resolution over that of the Mark II seems rather unlikely. Has Canon ever released a new version of a model without a resolution bump?

These are professional bodies that don't cater to the pixel counting crowd. They are meant to be deadly accurate and super fast focusing, high image transfer rates with the highest image quality. Note that the Nikon D5 which came out around the same time as the 1DXMKII also has 20MP. It's the nature of the tool and obviously it's not for everyone. But if your job requires getting better pictures at the Olympics or Superbowl than the next guy, then there's no other choice.

On the other hand, Canon has no shortage of higher resolution bodies including 30 and 50 MP. And they're rumored to have an 80MP R series body in the works if you need that kind of resolution. Again, different tools for different jobs.

• JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins

The consensus is from fstoppers, petapixel commenters, pretty much everybody understands that if this thing was going to be 30 or 50MP they would have mentioned that. 22 or something isn't a meaningful increase.

I'd like higher resolution, not for the pixel peeping, but for the occasions when I would like to make very, very large prints. Which on occasion I would like to do. 100cmx80cm prints look OK with my mk ii, if it's a shot made with light that didn't stress the sensor too much, but I'd like more. 50MP would be about right, but the ISO range on the 5Ds is, frankly terrible,

It's not that the 1Dx mkIII won't be good for what it does, it's that Canon hasn't wowed me in particular since 2008. That's over a decade. 11 years. I'm still shooting a 5d mkII because nothing out there is even close to being 3000 euros better- the 5Ds looked promising but that is obviously going nowhere. And that was 4 years ago. Different tools for different jobs, sure, but Canon's full frame cameras for landscape and fine art photographers don't really offer many advantages much above and beyond, say Fuji, (the obvious one being shallower DOF)- but they sure do cost and weigh a lot more.

It became obvious to me that my mkii was getting way too long in the tooth last year. I've been impressed by some of Canon's rivals, but have waited to see what they would come out with. And that turned out to be the 4000D, about which the less said, the better; and this, a camera for combat photographers, which I am not and will never be. In the meantime the resale value of my canon gear has dropped from about three thousand euros to about 2200. That's a pretty steep decline, and I don't anticipate that the 1DX mkIII is going to arrest it.

Cave ab homine unius libri
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited October 25, 2019

The Canon EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R are great landscape tools and still very pertinent today. If you can't produce single and 2-exposure gorgeous landscapes at large sizes with those cameras you need to look at your lenses, techniques, post-processing software and presentation methodology.

The Canon 5D Mark IV is, very much IMO, the best all rounder out there. 30MPix is very comfortable natively up to 30" x 20" prints, and the Dynamic Range is stellar if you use the correct software and techniques. My current software choice for my Canon, Nikon and Sony equipment is Phase One Capture One Pro (C1P) for primary processing, Neat Image for Luminance noise reduction (C1P is already great for Chrominance NR), and Google Digital ICE for super-resolution and panorama stitching, both landscape orientation and portrait orientation. I also use RawTherapee and Darktable as needed. (Very occasionally GIMP with G'MIC - GREYC's Magic for Image Computing.)

Allow me to demonstrate:

Starting more than a decade ago I shot this lonely tree over a period of years (time of day, time of year, etc.) until I finally achieved what I was after:

The "finished" resolution for this image is, ExifImageWidth - 4096, ExifImageHeight - 6144 (25 MP-ish). This image was achieved using either stitched images or super-resolution, and I'm pretty sure that this image is the latter technique. (I shot both ways that day and chose the more appropriate after processing.) The camera/lens used: IR converted, Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT/350D with Canon EOS 17mm-40mm, f4L USM @ f8 and 24mm.

I hear you, "But the Canon XT/350D only has 8MP native resolution?" The above detail crop at 1:1 shows that super-resolution can do much better if done properly.

ziggy53

Canon EOS 1Dx Mark III preview: PRO specs REVEALED! - Gordon Laing

https://youtu.be/fNM6_48txKE
    Oct 23, 2019

ziggy53

Specifications in detail

Image Sensor

Type

36 x 24 mm CMOS

Effective Pixels

Approx. 20.1 M

Total Pixels

Approx. 21.4 M

Aspect Ratio

3:2

Low-Pass Filter

Built-in/Fixed with Self Cleaning Sensor Unit

Colour Filter Type

Primary Colour

Image Processor

Type

DIGIC X

Lens

Lens Mount

EF (excludes EF-S/EF-M lenses)

Focal Length

1.x Multiplication with EF lens fitted

SLR FOCUSING

Type

TTL secondary image-forming phase-difference detection using AF-dedicated sensor

AF System / Points

191 Point/155 f/4 cross-type AF points inc 1 dual cross type at f/2.8 1\
    The number of cross-type AF points will differ depending on the lens.

AF working range

EV -4 to 21 (at 20°C & ISO 100)

AF Modes

One Shot\
    AI Focus

AF Point Selection

Automatic selection: 191 point AF (inc face tracking and Eye AF)\
    Manual selection: Single point AF (selectable points all points, 61, 15, 9 or cross type only points selectable)\
    Manual selection: Spot AF\
    Manual selection: AF point Expansion 4 points (up, down, left, right)\
    Manual selection: AF point Expansion surrounding 8 points\
    Manual selection: Zone AF\
    Manual selection: Large Zone AF\
    AF points can be selected separately for vertical and horizontal shooting

Selected AF point display

Superimposed in viewfinder and indicated on LCD panel

AF Lock

Locked when shutter button is pressed half way or AF ON is pressed in One Shot AF mode.

AF Assist Beam

Emitted by an optional dedicated Speedlite

ziggy53

Specifications (Continued)

Manual Focus

Selected on lens

AF Microadjustment

Manual: Enter adjustment level +/- 20 steps\
    Adjust all lenses by same amount\
    Adjust up to 20 lenses individually\
    Adjust per lens serial number

Exposure Control

Metering modes

400,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor, 384-zone metering\
    (1) Evaluative metering (linked to All AF point)\
    (2) Partial metering (approx. 6.2% of viewfinder at centre)\
    (3) Spot metering: Center spot metering (approx. 1.5% viewfinder at centre)\
    AF point-linked spot metering\
    Multi-spot metering\
    (4) Centre weighted average metering

Metering Range

EV 0-20 (at 23°C with 50 mm f1.4 lens ISO 100) EV -3-20 in Live and movie

AE Lock

Auto: Operates in 1-shot AF mode with evaluative metering when focus is achieved\
    Manual: By AE lock button in all exposure modes

Exposure Compensation

+/-5 EV in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments (can be combined with AEB).

AEB

2, 3, 5 or 7 Shots +/-3 EV 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments

Anti-flicker shooting

Yes. Flicker detected at a frequency of 100 Hz or 120 Hz. Maximum continuous shooting speed may decrease

ISO Speed Equivalent

Stills: 100-102400 (in 1/3-stop increments) ISO can be expanded to L: 50 or H1: 204800, H2: 409600, H3: 819200 (selected in Custom Function)

Shutter

Type

Vertical-travel mechanical focal-plane shutter, electronically controlled at all speeds/Sensor Electronic shutter

Speed

30 - 1/8000 sec. (1/3 stop increments), Bulb

Shutter Release

Soft touch electromagnetic release

White Balance

Type

Auto white balance with the imaging sensor

Settings

Auto (Ambience priority/White Priority), Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten light, White Fluorescent light, Flash, Custom, Colour Temperature Setting\
    White balance compensation:\
    1. Blue/Amber +/-9\
    2. Magenta/Green +/-9.

WB Bracketing

+/-3 levels in single level increments\
    3, 2, 5 or 7 bracketed images per shutter release\
    Selectable Blue/Amber bias or Magenta/Green bias.

Viewfinder

Viewfinder

Pentaprism

Coverage (Vertical/Horizontal)

Approx. 100%

Magnification

0.76x 2

Eyepoint

20 mm

Dioptre Correction

-3 to +1 dpt

Focusing Screen

fixed

Mirror

Quick-return all surface half mirror

Viewfinder Information

AF information: Single/Spot AF points, AF Frame, AF status, Focus indicator, AF mode, AF point selection, AF point registration\
    Exposure information: Shutter speed, aperture value, ISO speed (always displayed), AE lock, exposure level/compensation, flash metering, spot metering circle, exposure warning, AEB, metering mode, shooting mode, time\
    Flash information: Flash ready, high-speed sync, FE lock, flash exposure compensation, red-eye reduction light.\
    Image information: Card information, maximum burst (2 digit display), Highlight tone priority (D+).\
    Composition information: Crop area, Aspect ratio, Grid, Electronic level\
    Other information: Battery check, Warning symbol, Flicker Detection, drive mode, white balance, JPEG/RAW indicator

Depth of field preview

Yes

Eyepiece shutter

Built in

LCD Monitor

Monitor

3.2" (8.01 cm) TFT, approx. 2.1 million dots

Coverage

Approx. 100%

Viewing Angle (horizontally/vertically)

Approx. 170°

Coating

Anti-reflection and Solid Structure

Brightness

Auto: Using external ambient light sensor\
    Manual: Adjustable to one of seven levels\
    4 color tone Adjustable settings

Display Options

(1) Quick control Screen\
    (2) Camera settings\
    (3) Dual Axis Electronic Level\
    (4) Custom Quick control screen

Flash

Modes

E-TTL II Auto Flash, Metered Manual

X-sync

1/250 sec

Flash Exposure Compensation

+/-3 EV in 1/3-stop increments with EX series Speedlites

Flash Exposure Bracketing

Yes, with compatible External Flash

Flash Exposure Lock

Yes

HotShoe / PC terminal

Yes/Yes

Second Curtain Synchronisation

Yes

External Flash Compatibility

E-TTL II with EX series Speedlites, wireless multi-flash support

External Flash Control

via camera menu screen

Shooting

Modes

Program AE, Shutter priority AE, Aperture priority AE, Manual, 3x Custom settings

Picture Styles

Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, Fine Detail, User Defined (x3)

Colour Space

sRGB and Adobe RGB

ziggy53

Image Processing

Clarity (8 levels)\
    Highlight Tone Priority (2 settings)\
    Auto Lighting Optimizer (4 settings)\
    Long exposure noise reduction\
    High ISO speed noise reduction (4 settings)\
    Lens optical correction:\

• Peripheral illumination correction (stills and video)\
    • Chromatic aberration correction (stills and video)\
    • Distortion correction (during or after still photo shooting)\
    • Diffraction correction (stills and video)\
    • Digital Lens Optimizer (during or after still photo shooting)\
      Resize to M1, M2 or S 3\
      RAW image processing - during image Playback only\
      Crop images/rotate (3:2, 16:9, 4:3, 1:1, 2:3, 9:16, 3:4 ratios)\
      Multiple exposure

Drive modes

Single, Continuous L, Continuous H, Self timer (2s+remote, 10s+remote), S single soft shooting, continuous soft shooting

Continuous Shooting

Max. Approx. 16ps.\
    Max. 20 fps in Live View mode with mirror locked up with exposure and AF tracking\
    (speed maintained for unlimited number of JPEGs or over 1000 RAW images) 4

Live View Mode

Type

Electronic viewfinder with image sensor

Coverage

Approx. 100% (horizontally and vertically)

Frame Rate

For Stills 29.97 fps/for Movies 59.94 fps/29.97 fps (NTSC) 50.00 fps/25.00 fps (PAL)

Focusing

Manual Focus (Magnify the image 5x or 10x at any point on screen)\
    Autofocus: Dual Pixel CMOS AF (Face+Tracking\
    Spot AF\
    1-point AF\
    Expand AF area:\
    Expand AF area: Around\
    Zone AF\
    Large Zone AF: Vertical\
    Large Zone AF: Horizontal)

Metering

Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor (384-zone)\
    Partial metering (approx. 5.8% of Live View screen)\
    Spot metering (approx. 2.9% of Live View screen)\
    Center-weighted average metering\
    Active metering time can be changed

Display Options

Grid overlay (x3), Basic shooting information, Detailed shooting information, Histogram, Electronic Level

File Type

Still Image Type

JPEG: 10 compression options\
    HEIF: 10 compression options (10bit 422 BT2100)\
    RAW: RAW, CRAW\
    Complies with Exif 2.31 and Design rule for Camera File system 2.0\
    Complies with Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] Version 1.1

RAW+JPEG simultaneous recording

Yes, any combination of RAW + JPEG/HEIF possible, separate formats to separate cards possible

Image Size

JPEG/HEIF: (L) 5472x3648, (M1) 4368x2912, (M2) 3648x2432, (S) 2736x1824\
    HEIF: 5472x3648\
    RAW: (RAW/C-RAW) 5472x3648

Folders

New folders can be manually created and selected

File Numbering

(1) Consecutive numbering\
    (2) Auto reset\
    (3) Manual reset

EOS Movie

Movie Type

RAW: CRM 12bit Audio: Linear PCM\
    MP 4 Video: 4K (8bit MPEG4 AVC/H.264, 10bit MPEG4/HEVC with Canon log), Full HD - MPEG4 AVC/H.264, Audio: Linear PCM\
    MP4 Video: Full HD IPB light - MPEG4 AVC/H.264, Audio: AAC

Movie Size

4K RAW (5496x2904) - (23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94 fps)\
    4K DCI (17:9) - 4096x2160 (23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94 fps) intra or inter frame\
    4K UHD (16:9) - 3840x2160 (23.98, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94 fps) intra or inter frame\
    4K DCI cropped (17:9) - 4096x2160 (23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94 fps) intra or inter frame\
    Full HD (16:9) - 1920x1080 (23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 50, 59.94 fps) intra or inter frame plus IPB light

Simultaneous recording

Yes: RAW to card in slot 1 Proxy (MP4) to card in slot 2

Colour Sampling (Internal recording)

4K - YCbCr4:2:2 (8-bit)\
    Full HD/HD - YCbCr4:2:0 (8-bit)

Canon Log

Yes Log 1

Movie Length

4K and Full HD - Max duration 29 min 59 sec. (excluding High Frame Rate movies). No 4GB file limit with exFAT CF card.

High Frame Rate Movie

MOV Video: Full HD - 1920x1080 at 100 fps or 119.9 fps\
    Recorded as 1/4-speed slow motion movie\
    Single scene maximum recording up to 7 min 29 sec.

4K Frame Grab

8.3-megapixel JPEG still image frame grab from 4K movie possible

Bitrate / Mbps

5.5K RAW: (50/59.94p) Approx. 2600 Mbps (30/25/24/23.98p) Approx. 1800 Mbps\
    Canon Log off (H264 MP4)\
    4K DCI (50/59.94p): ALL-I Approx. 940 Mbps, IPB Approx. 230 Mbps\
    4K DCI (29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p): ALL-I Approx. 470 Mbps, IPB Approx. 120 Mbps\
    4K DCI cropped (50/59.94p): ALL-I Approx. 940 Mbps, IPB Approx. 230 Mbps\
    4K DCI cropped (29.97p/25p/24.00p/23.98p): ALL-I Approx. 470 Mbps, IPB Approx. 120 Mbps\
    4K UHD (50/59.94p): ALL-I Approx. 940 Mbps, IPB Approx. 230 Mbps\
    4K UHD (29.97p/25p): ALL-I Approx. 470 Mbps, IPB Approx. 120 Mbps\
    Full HD (119.90p/100p): ALL-I: Approx. 360 Mbps\
    Full HD (59.94p/50.00p): ALL-I: Approx. 180 Mbps\
    Full HD (59.94p/50.00p): IPB Approx. 60 Mbps\
    Full HD (29.97p/25p): ALL-I: Approx. 90 Mbps\
    Full HD (29.97p/25p): IPB: Approx. 30 Mbps\
    Full HD (29.97p/25p): IPB light: Approx. 12 Mbps

Canon Log on (H265 MP4)\
    4K DCI (50/59.94p): ALL-I Approx. 1000 Mbps, IPB Approx. 340 Mbps\
    4K DCI (29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p): ALL-I Approx. 470 Mbps, IPB Approx. 170 Mbps\
    4K DCI cropped (50/59.94p): ALL-I Approx. 1000 Mbps, IPB Approx. 340 Mbps\
    4K DCI cropped (29.97p/25p/24.00p/23.98p): ALL-I Approx. 470 Mbps, IPB Approx. 170 Mbps\
    4K UHD (50/59.94p): ALL-I Approx. 1000 Mbps, IPB Approx. 340 Mbps\
    4K UHD (29.97p/25p): ALL-I Approx. 470 Mbps, IPB Approx. 170 Mbps\
    Full HD (119.90p/100p): ALL-I: Approx. 470 Mbps\
    Full HD (59.94p/50.00p): ALL-I: Approx. 170 Mbps\
    Full HD (59.94p/50.00p): IPB Approx. 90 Mbps\
    Full HD (29.97p/25p): ALL-I: Approx. 135 Mbps\
    Full HD (29.97p/25p): IPB: Approx. 45 Mbps\
    Full HD (29.97p/25p): IPB light: Approx. 18 Mbps

ziggy53

Microphone

Built-in stereo microphones (48 kHz, 16-bit x 2 channels)

HDMI Display

External Monitor only, External Monitor only without information display or Simultaneous on camera and external monitor

HDMI Output

4K and Full HD recording, uncompressed YCbCr 4:2:0, 8-bit BT709, or YCbCr 4:2:2, 10-bit BT2020 with Canon Log sound output via HDMI is also possible

Focusing

Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Face Detection and Tracking AF, Movie Servo AF Manual Focus

ISO

100-25600 (in 1/3-stop increments) ISO can be expanded to or H1: 51200, H2: 102400, H3: 204800 (selected in Custom Function)

Movie Digital IS

Yes, image area when enabled: reduced by 10%

Other Features

GPS

Built in - Longitude, Latitude, Elevation, Coordinated Universal Time\

• GPS satellites (USA)\
    • GLONASS satellites (Russia)\
    • Quasi-Zenith Satellite Michibiki (Japan)

Custom Functions

38 Custom Functions

Metadata Tag

Author, copyright, Image rating (0-5 stars) GPS, Rating, IPTC (registered with EOS Utility/browser remote)

LCD Panel (EL) / Button Illumination

Yes/Yes

Water / Dust resistance

Yes

Voice Memo

Yes

Intelligent Orientation Sensor

Yes

Histogram

Brightness: Yes\
    RGB: Yes

Playback zoom

1.5x - 10x

Display Formats

(1) Single image with information (2 levels)\
    (2) Single image\
    (3) 4 image index\
    (4) 9 image index\
    (5) 36 image index\
    (6) 100 image index\
    (7) Jump Display\
    (8) Movie edit\
    (9) Raw processing\
    (10) Rating

Image Erase Protection

Erase protection of one image at a time, folder or card

Image Erase

Single image, selected, folder, card or all unprotected

Self Timer

2 or 10 sec.

Menu Categories

(1) Shooting Menu 1 - 4 (separate photo/video)\
    (2) AF menu 1 - 5\
    (3) Network 1\
    (4) Playback menu 1 - 3\
    (5) Setup menu 1- 5\
    (6) Custom functions 1- 9\
    (7) My Menu (1-5 user selectable)

Menu Languages

English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, Indonesian, Malaya and Japanese.

Firmware Update

Update possible by the user. (Camera, Lens, WFT, External Speedlite)

Body Materials

Magnesium Alloy

Interface

Computer

USB 3.1 Gen 2 (PTP)

Wi-Fi

Wireless LAN (IEEE802.11b/g/n) (2.4 GHz only), with Bluetooth support5 Features supported - EOS Utility, Smartphone, Upload to Web

Other

HDMI (mini), External microphone (Stereo mini jack) Headphone Jack, RJ-45, N3 remote release terminal, Flash PC connector

Memory Card

Type

CFexpress 1.0 Type B

ziggy53

Power Source

Batteries

Rechargeable Li-ion Battery LP-E19, LP-E4N\
    (LP-E19 battery supplied)

Battery life

Viewfinder shooting Approx. 2850 (at 20°C) 6\
    Viewfinder shooting Approx. 2360 (at 0°C) 7\
    Live View shooting Approx. 610 (at 20°C) 8\
    Live View shooting Approx. 530 (at 0°C) 9\
    4K movie recording Approx. 2 hr 20 mins (at 20°C) (movie Servo AF disabled)

Battery check

Automatic displayed in 6 levels

Power saving

Power turns off after 1, 2, 4, 8, 15 or 30 mins.

AC Power Supply

Power adapter AC-E19/DR-E19

Accessories

Lenses

All EF lenses (excludes EF-S lenses)

Flash

Canon Speedlites (90EX, 220EX, 270EX, 270EX II, 320EX, 380EX, 420EX, 430EX, 430EX II, 430EX III, 470EX AI, 550EX, 580EX, 580EX II, 600EX-RT, 600EX, 600EX-II RT, EL 100, Macro-Ring-Lite MR-14EX, Macro-Ring-Lite, MR-14EX II, Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX, Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2, Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT)

Remote Controller / Switch

Remote control with N3 type contact and Speedlite 600EX-II RT

Power Supply & Battery Chargers

Battery Pack LP-E19, Battery Pack LP-E4N, Battery charger LC-E19, Power Adapter AC-E19/DR-E19

Other

Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E9, Eyecup Eg, Eg-series Dioptric Adjustment Lens with Rubber Frame Eg, Anti Fog Eyepiece Eg, Angle Finder C, Hand Strap E1/E2

ziggy53

Features:

20 megapixel full-frame sensor

With huge dynamic range and ISO sensitivity

5.5K Raw video

Capture video footage with the ultimate in image quality

DIGIC X image processor

For blazing speed and superb image quality

Filmmaking at 4K/60p

Capture full-frame video at up to 4K resolution and 60 fps with Canon Log and H.265

Up to 20 fps continuous shooting

Capture at 20 fps in Live View mode and at 16fps when using the optical viewfinder

Dual Pixel CMOS AF

Focuses with lightning speed when shooting stills, and smoothly when capturing video

ziggy53
    edited January 7, 2020

Jared says, "No IBIS" in this video, but watch the video below, "Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Electronic In-Body Stabilization".
    (Granted, it's E-IBIS and not like other moving-chip-IBIS, but it looks smooth all the same. E-IBIS is also more durable and is compatible with Canon lens-based IS. It's also only for video, I believe.)

Canon 1DX Mark III PREVIEW | WATCH OUT SONY!!! - Jared Polin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxl--qaWCg8

ziggy53

From Canon USA:

Discovering Canon’s New EOS-1D X Mark III Camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LI-8qGTQIg

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Body & Operations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpxqdNPKZNI

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Autofocus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eExbVhK26bA

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Electronic In-Body Stabilization

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACcg1K_Cfrc

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III RAW Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHmSaLIWueM

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Autofocus When Video Recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WebMsV14--o

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Image Quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hezrfJZ7o2A

ziggy53

Canon EOS 1Dx III: HANDS-ON field test review - Gordon Laing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDGq9oETIjg

ziggy53

Canon 1DX Mark III Auto Focus = MIND BLOWN | Check THIS OUT!!! - Jared Polin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypLxPmXuGGY
    Feb 17, 2020

ziggy53
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I'm not always happy listening to Fro, and don't always agree with him, and he certainly hasn't been a Canon fan boy, but he really does seem to like the new IDX MkIII AF system.

It does look very impressive in his video.

Now I want to see how much of the new AF system carries over in the the new R5 too. Or will Canon just dumb it down per usual?

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Photographically, we live in a very amazing time!

ziggy53

Birding with the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III - DPReview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTM5X_zazGU
    Feb 19, 2020

The lower Rio Grande Valley plays host to a colorful range of bird species in the late winter months, making it a desirable destination for bird photographers. Seasoned wildlife and travel photographer Adam Jones recently traveled to the region to try out the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III, putting the camera's formidable high-speed burst capabilities to work with some challenging subjects.

ziggy53

Turn down the sound if you want. I mean Jared goes pretty far over-the-top on this longish video. But ... he has some valid tests and shows how insane the Canon 1D X Mark III is for sports, and you can pretty well translate that competence to fast-moving wildlife and BIF.

CANON 1DX Mark III Review = MIND BLOWING "MIRRORLESS" Camera?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSsxpejhvsI
    Mar 22, 2020

ziggy53

A major new firmware update is available for the 1D X Mark III, mostly video oriented. Since we don't have a thread in the Video forum for the 1D X Mark III, I'll post the link here:

Firmware Version 1.5.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fix:
    1. Adds [Canon Log 3] to [Canon Log settings].
    • Support for RAW movies shot with Canon Log 3 and RAW (Light) will be available in a future version of Cinema RAW Development and in Digital Photo Professional software.
    • Support for the processing of RAW movies shot with Canon Log 3 and the application of Viewing LUT will be available in a future version of Digital Photo Professional software.
    2. Simultaneous movie recording on card 1 and card 2 has been added, however RAW movies and RAW(Light) movies cannot be recorded simultaneously on card 1 and card 2.
    3. Support for the VPG 400(Video Performance Guarantee Profile), a standard based on the CFexpress 2.0 specification, has been added.
    4. Fixes an issue in which there are rare instances where the shooting settings for Still Photo mode are retained when a user switches to Movie mode.

Firmware Version 1.5.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.4.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.5.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

ziggy53