Options

Stop Changing Things Without Any Notice!!!!!

Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins

Just noticed some of the custom CSS I use on the Cart has changed. Don't know when this has changed as I don't look at my site daily.

I understand you may need to fix bugs, improvements etc, but is it too much to ask to notify us when you do make changes?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2020

Am I going nuts nuts? Looks like they removed the map from photo info and gps coords from exif. Gallery and lightbox.
    They show in a map box widget, but not in photo info exif.
    https://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Bird-Gallery-Maps/2020-01-02-Map

Open in editor > location data still there.
    EDIT: looks like map was turned off in gallery settings. Back to normal now.
    Looks like mix up in presets as I use a no map in my yardbirds.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

As always we try to do our best to inform you all when we make improvements to SmugMug (via in-product notifications, email announcement, blog posts, monthly release notes) but not every change is large enough to post about. As you know Mike, since you've been so amazingly helpful providing folks with CSS customizations, there are infinite customizations that can be impacted by bug fixes and improvements to SmugMug. Our goal is to make SmugMug better for all of you as fast as possible and we don't want to let a small number of folks who have customized things to slow down making SmugMug better for the large community that enjoys the improvements.

These Cart changes, for example, are helping Pro's increase sales quite significantly over the last 4 months of improvements that we've been making. We're also seeing non-Pro's completing orders at a higher rate than before -- so these changes are helping make the shopping experience better.

You've probably seen that we're spending more time posting in-product messages when we make improvements. Those tend to get sent out as soon as we launch an improvement and we'll continue to use this tool to help inform all of you.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2020

I'm so used to the way WordPress works. When there is a revision you download it and you can see what changes do via log files. In this case this was a big deal because I changed the background color to black. A few sections went white and I, and importantly my visitors, couldn't see the text because of it. It's fixed now, just wish there was a way to be informed of EVERY change, but I understand how SM does things.

• Options
    ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins

I am getting used to the new shopping cart changes, and naturally despite wishing I had complete control over customizing all the elements of it (e.g. text descriptions/sample print thumbnails), I can understand that things need be kept simple and designed to benefit ALL users, not just those of us with more specific niche needs.

One thing that does need fixing though, and this goes back to Mike mentioning about background color, is that although the shopping cart now reflects our themes background color scheme, the "Buy Multiple Photos" screen still reverts to the standard Smugmug black background with green action buttons. I would love to see a bit of a visual upgrade to this screen, as-well as for it to adjust to our color schemes.