What are you looking at?

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

One of my many trips to Yellowstone. For 3 days photographers gathered for a chance to see Wolfs, Bears, and other wildlife feast on a downed Bison.

Phil

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

A gathering of Photobeest in their natural setting. Who's watching who?

Great shot, Phil!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Having been to Yellowstone a couple of times, I can imagine the traffic backups this caused. A nice shot that speaks volumes.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • NCPHOTOSNCPHOTOS Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    Nice photo and wow that is a lot of big glass. I like the one guy that has a point and shoot camera but still wants to get a photo.
  • kurzvorzwoelfkurzvorzwoelf Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins

Nice catch. Seeing all that big (and heavy!) glass makes me glad that I'm a happy M43 camper, tho.

Wise words from the Dog of Wisdom: If your ball is too big for your mouth, it's not yours.

I'm here to learn and progress. Honest feedback and criticism on my images is warmly appreciated!

My SmugMug site - kurzvorzwoelf.com

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator

Don't you just wish there was one guy pointing his camera in the opposite direction? :wink:

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

Love the guy with the point and shoot.

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
  • mathogremathogre Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins

@willard3 said:
    Love the guy with the point and shoot.

Isn't it great? You can either be embarrassed by using a point-n-shoot or be embarrassed by explaining to others why you did not get your camera and take the shot.

I was in that situation one time for a group I'd been photographing for a year. There was an event I was not expecting to attend. Suddenly I was there and I had the chance to take photos. Ugh! I didn't have my camera. Oh. In my car I had my little pocket point-n-shoot Canon PowerShot ELPH 330HS, also known internationally as the IXUS 255 HS. Normally I shot my tribe with my full frame Canon 5DMkIII using L lenses, and my tribe made me king. Choice. Sit it out as an idiot, or look like an idiot and shoot with my little Elph anyway? I ran, got my little camera, shot the event, and there were people who used some of the good images from that anyway!

Another time there was the half dozen turkey vultures brunching on a deer on a suburban lawn on an overcast Sunday morning. All I had was my iPhone. I turned around, and yeah, I got the shot without those ugly birds flying away.

Point is, there's a potential photo, you got a camera with you, but it's only a lowly ____. Do you take it out, especially if there are Real Photographers™ around? If you do, you're infinitely beyond the person who doesn't.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 25, 2020

How did I miss this thread when it was new?

"The best camera is the one you have with you."

Shots like these bring back memories of every Dgrin / Smugmug Shootout and Marc Muench / Andy WIlliams photography workshops.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky