Phone Home!

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Just capturing a piece of history,...of fading (or should I say faded) technology!

You don't see many of these around any more.

1 Roadside -- Route 66

2 Phone Home!!

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

That first one is indeed a rare sight. In many areas, it would have bullet holes all through it.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Good set, I'm not sure I want to touch the second one...

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    That first one is indeed a rare sight. In many areas, it would have bullet holes all through it.

Yep...indeed a rare find.

This booth was just sitting there along the side of the road, in a VERY small town.

If it wasn't in the mid-west, I'd swear it could have been Mayberry. I saw all of three cars pass bye during the hour I was shooting these images.

A stereotypical mid-west summer's day...hot, quiet, save for the sound of small insects, and a lone phone booth. Almost as if stuck in time, along the side of the road.

It was is very good shape, no significant/major damage, broken glass, nada. I was very surprised but, extremely happy to find such an item in this good shape. Had to stop to photograph it.

I am on the look out for additional icons that are quickly fading (or have faded) from our daily lives.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

@Juano said:
    Good set, I'm not sure I want to touch the second one...

Ah...yup.

It has seen better days. Looks like a lot of oxidizing taking place.

Stepping into the phone booth to take the shot was both a step back in time and an experience.

I wasn't the only life form that was occupying the booth. Once we straightened out the pecking order, the shoot went smoothly.

The door actually worked, closed (and opened) without a problem. I would have been spooked had I picked up the receiver (which I did) and got a dial tone. Alas, no tone. I also used a latex glove, taking no chances!

The find was wonderful, the booth in excellent condition for its age, location and being unattended.

Overall a very nostalgic, unplanned, road-side stop for a quick couple of snaps.

Gotta love those Blue Highways!

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins

Memories, miss the days of making calls in a phone booth.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Yeah, we are old timers now! Haha!