Canon EOS R Mirrorless Camera System with RF Mount Lens System

13»

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator

@pathfinder said:
    I'd rather have built in focus stacking, a lower base ISO - say maybe 5 or 10 ( yes 5 or 10, think what a 10X ND would do with an ISO of base 5 ), and 30-40 Mbits would be just fine if it included in body image stabilization of 4 or 5 stops and dual card slots

How about 80 MP? Would that hold ya for a while? https://petapixel.com/2019/08/01/canon-plans-to-rejoin-the-spec-wars-with-an-80mp-eos-r-camera-report/

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

I'm not sure I really even want more than 30-40 Mpixles if they're good pixels.

I am getting tired of waiting though...

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited September 12, 2019

Report: Canon EOS R’s New Firmware Makes AF Comparable to Sony’s

https://thephoblographer.com/2019/08/28/report-canon-eos-rs-new-firmware-makes-af-comparable-to-sonys/
    28. Aug. 2019

The Canon EOS R is getting a firmware update that significantly improves its autofocus for sports and portraiture.

... On a recent press trip, we had the chance to play with a beta version of the latest firmware update. This new update brings majorly improved autofocus tracking. Indeed, a room of journalists was seriously pleased with some demonstration videos we saw.

Further, we were surprised to see just how good the new firmware is. To me, Canon’s place in the mirrorless camera world has been all about its lenses. They’re making focal length options that no one else is even talking about, much less creating. Now that they’ve given the camera a bump in autofocus performance, we’re happy to report that we were really shocked at what it can do.

During my session with a version of the Canon EOS R with a beta firmware installed, we found the tracking to be pretty much flawless. We used the Canon RF 50mm f1.2 L USM, Canon RF 85mm f1.2 L USM, and the Profoto B10. The entire system was able to perform on par with what I feel most Sony cameras can do.

In comparison to every other camera system, so far we are finding that the Canon EOS R’s new firmware update is:

• Pretty much comparable to Sony’s, but I’d still put my money on the Sony a9 or the Sony a7r VI for consistency.
    • Far better than Nikon’s
    • Much better than Fujifilm’s X and GF series
    • Significantly better than Panasonic’s S1 and S1R series of cameras

=====================================================
    ziggy notes:

The boldface emphasis above is mine.

There is more to this report so I recommend everyone click the link above and make your own assessments.

This is currently beta firmware. While it's encouraging to see Canon involve journalists, you cannot currently get this to try for yourself. Hopefully Canon is close to a release date and just wanted to see if a limited public beta event could shake out any major issues. I urge patience from users so that the final release isn't rushed.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Why I’m Switching to the Canon EOS R (again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH8QPwWd4bg
    Dec 21, 2019
    Kinotika [Dave Maze]

The Canon EOS R has been out for over a year, and it has easily become one of the most trending cameras as of late. A lot of that has to do with the recent price drops and deals. With the price drops aside, it's taken a while for me to warm up to the EOS R, and now I am all in with two bodies and the insane 15-35mm lens! In this video, I talk about why I am switching back to Canon and why you should consider the same.

ziggy53
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator

Canon Rumors is talking about as EOS Rs with:

75mp full-frame CMOS
    Sensor “focused on the dynamic range”
    Frames per second “… Sounded similar to the EOS R”
    DIGIC 9
    Dual Card Slots
    Joystick the same as the EOS-1D X Mark III
    Larger and higher resolution EVF than the EOS R
    Fully articulating LCD screen
    Fully weather-sealed
    Similar ergonomics as the EOS R (No touch bar)

And an EOS R II with IBIS-

both maybe being see in 2020

We can hope!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

My “ULTIMATE” CANON MIRRORLESS RF LENS KIT - Jared Polin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF7lyV73yFU
    Jan 25, 2020

This is my current ULTIMATE Canon RF Full Frame Mirrorless Lens Kit. It consists of the Canon RF 15-35mm f2.8 RF 24-70mm f2.8 , RF 70-200mm f2.8 , RF 28-70mm f2 , RF 85mm f1.2 , RF 50mm f1.2 .

ziggy53

All that beautiful new glass that cannot be used on their newly announced flagship body, the EOS-1D X Mark III. It sure is a confusing time to be a Canon shooter.

edited January 28, 2020

@kdog said:
    All that beautiful new glass that cannot be used on their newly announced flagship body, the EOS-1D X Mark III. It sure is a confusing time to be a Canon shooter.

True, but part of the reason for the incompatibility is the flange-focus distance difference, which affects image exit angles, etc., and the shorter flange-focus distance of the "R" series mirrorless bodies alone allow some of the optic formulas which make the RF lenses possible.

Technically, it might be possible to design an RF lens to EF mount adapter using relay optics, but they would only be optimized for a very limited subset of RF lenses and very expensive and heavy at the same time. I suspect that if it's possible, Brian Caldwell, the optics designer for Metabones products, will probably tell us first of the possibility.

ziggy53

Think of it as an opportunity, Zig. It's rumored they're working on an EF/R hybrid using a moving sensor. https://petapixel.com/2019/12/16/canon-to-use-moving-sensor-in-eos-r-camera-with-hybrid-ef-rf-mount-report/

Now that would be real innovation. I have a feeling that many photographers who would normally be interested in the 1DXMKIII will be waiting to see what happens. I know I am.