Gallery Smart Rules

lfeiwellfeiwel Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins

I have many photos stores in a 'years' folder. Within that folder I have a gallery for each year. I populate all my other folders and respective galleries via smart rules, linking from the years galleries to respective albums with those selected keywords those keywords...Fore example, a smart gallery with photos of me, another with photos of my wife, another of a given trip etc. All works fine. Now I try to, for example, have a gallery of my dog, but do not want it to include those photos with a keyword of me or my wife...just the dog. I have created a smart album with the logical inclusion and exclusions, but still see the 'excluded keyword 'photos in the dog album. I have set the criteria to include all rules should be followed, but still no go. Any suggfestiuons?

Tagged:

Comments

• lfeiwellfeiwel Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins

I have even sorted the smart album logic to 1st exclude the associated keyworded photos, and then finally include the dog keyword, to no avail

• pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins

I did a little testing and I don't think the smart gallery logic works correctly, so you might be experiencing a bug. Try setting "match rules" to Any instead of All... I found that those don't work as would be expected, at least when using Exclude. Setting it to Any gave me the results I would have expected from All, and setting it to All gave me a small subset of the expected results.

I also found that the order of the rules matters. This is what worked for me:

Include photos from gallery ___
    Include photos with keyword XXX
    Exclude photos with keyword YYY

Match rules: Any

See if that does it.

Dave

Wow...It works as you describe.
    I appreciate your efforts and am now only fearful that the 'bug/feature' will be 'fixed'

Thank you

I can now release the album for all to see

So, an added complexity...
    I now have an album called Recents, which shows all photos that I've uploaded in the past 2 months.
    As before, all my photos are uploaded by date in a folder called years. Through keywords, all my other albums self populate with photos that have the smart rules to display that keyword
    The 'fix' provided by PilotDave showed me a way to keep photos out of other albums.
    The Recents is the only album built with a date criteria, as well as the attempt at keyword exclusions. It doesn't work..No setting of any or all, seems to exclude 'all' from appearing
    The only workaround I can use is to hide the photos, until 2 months have elapsed, and then unhide them,, when they fall out of the from then until now criteria.

Any assistance is appreciated
    https://feiwel.smugmug.com/

• pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins

Another idea that might work is to use multiple unlisted smart galleries, each with a subset of the rules you want, as sources for the final public gallery. For example, one that includes photos with a certain keyword, then another that includes photos from the first smart gallery, but excludes photos in a certain date range. It might take some experimentation to figure out what order and combination of rules works. But this might work better than trying to combine all the rules at once.

Dave

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins

It's been a while that I looked into this, but as far as I recall it works as following. Include and exclude rules are looked at separately. As a first step, all the include rules are looked at to create an "include set". In a second step an "exclude set" is created based on all the exclude rules. Then the include set is taken and any photos from the exclude set are removed from it to create the smart gallery content.
    For both the include and exclude set, the match rules setting applies. The any match rules setting would add a photo based on any include / exclude rule to its respective set. If you use ALL as the match rule, a photo would only be added to the include / exclude set if it matches all respective include / exclude rules.

Looking at your Recents gallery, you have 3 exclude rules set and match rules set to all. Since there doesn't appear to be any photo that has all 3 keywords you specify in the 3 exclude rules - llr, rose, ll - no photo gets excluded.

To achieve what you're looking for, you may need to use an intermediate smart gallery that includes your keyword rules as include and match rules set to any. This intermediate gallery could be set to visibility unlisted so it won't show on your site for visitors.
    You could then feed the intermediate smart gallery as an exclude rule into your Recents gallery. Can you give that a try?

Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero

Yes You both got me there...
    I populated the relevant photos from my 'years' Gallery with the keyword 'HIDE' ( I know bad choice, but anyway)
    I then created a smart album (RecentH) that accumulates the photos from 'year' that includes the last 2 months of photos (my definition of current)
    Finally, I revised my original 'Recent' album to Include the RecentH album, and exclude the HIDE keyword photos.

It Works

Now I just have to find a good way to remove the HIDE keyword from the photos after their time has passed...but that's just a housekeeping exercise and not a problem for a while, if ever...I guess the 'find' option can find the photos, but I can't utilize the 'Organize' function to perform a mass-removal of a keyword.

Take a look feiwel.smugmug.com
    Thanks so much

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

@lfeiwel said:
    Now I just have to find a good way to remove the HIDE keyword from the photos after their time has passed...but that's just a housekeeping exercise and not a problem for a while, if ever...I guess the 'find' option can find the photos, but I can't utilize the 'Organize' function to perform a mass-removal of a keyword.

When I want to remove a keyword across multiple galleries I create a smart gallery using that keyword and then use organizer tools against that smart gallery.

Smart...Thanks