MINI-CHALLENGE #296: Sunrise, Sunset

bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

This mini is inspired a bit by several of the entries from the previous mini. I am looking for photos of sunrises and sunsets, but I'm not going to put a lot of other restrictions on the theme. I don’t care if the photo includes people. The scene can be a natural one or a skyline or other man made feature. I will also expand it to include alpenglow and the golden hour which imply a sunrise or sunset in process or recently completed, but out of the frame. The main thing is that the light of the rising or setting sun is present in the photo. My examples are mostly from nature, but as I said that is not a limitation of the challenge.

This mini will stay open until 23 February 2020 at 9:00 PM EST (UTC -5).

Examples

And of course a view with the sun in the frame is also great

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share 'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

~~Barbara

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

@bfluegie Your setting yourself up for some difficult judging! Here are my 3.

1 Sunset ride in Key Largo

2 Red Rock Sunset (Sedona, Arizona)

3 Hunting for Breakfast (somewhere in the Pacific ocean near Hawaii)

• bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins

Joyce, thanks for starting off the mini with three great shots. I agree that I am setting myself up for a difficult time when the challenge is over, but I hope seeing a lot of great sunsets will compensate.

~~Barbara
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins

I have a lot of sunset photos so it is difficult to find the best one. Especially one I have not used before

*1 Purple Sunset in Costa Rica

*2 Blood Red Sunset behind a Florida Pirate Ship?

*3 Mallory Square Sunset

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Another great theme with many images to choose from. Good luck with the judging ;)

1: Orange sky on Skye

2: Misty morning

3: Early light and vanishing clouds

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2020

I have more sunset shots than sunrise - I love early mornings, but not photographically I guess.

Stettler, Alberta Sunset

Mariposa, Ca. Storm clouds at sunset

Yellowstone Sunset

Thanks @grandmaR, Pieter @pegelli, and Jo @Cavalier for the great entries.

~~Barbara
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

I don't envy the judging process on this one Barbara! Here are my three:

1) Sunset over Lake Garda, Italy (from Torri del Benaco towards Garda Riviera)

2) Sunset at San Simeon State Beach, California

3) Sunset over Lake Tahoe (looking north from the promenade at South Lake Tahoe)

This one is not for judging - sunrise from our balcony. Jo's ( @Cavalier ) "Yellowstone Sunset" brought this to mind, so I had to share.

• Lab_TestedLab_Tested Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins

So many excellent photos, and here I sit, already having posted one of my favorite sunset shots in the last challenge. So it goes.

1) Storm Clouds Over Colorado

2) Great Smoky Mountains at Dusk

3) Last Light San Diego

Not for judging, but here is the location from where Uluru, previously known as Ayer's Rock, in Australia was dug up.

• RalphMoonRalphMoon Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins

1) Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming, sunrise

2) Vajradakini toward sunset

3) San Pablo Reservoir, California, sunrise

--Ralph Moon
    Smugmug: https://ralphmoon.com

"You look one moment and there's everything, next moment it's gone.
    Photography is very philosophical." -- Joel Meyerowitz

• Third_SonThird_Son Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2020

A few images from Michigan. The first two are taken at the same approximate time on Lake Michigan in South Haven at sunset. The last is a sunset in Frankenmuth Michigan. All taken with a Fuji X-T2. Notice the guy in the first image taking a selfie :-)

Splash of Color

South Haven Lighthouse

Frankenmuth Supernova

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

1 - I shoot many more sunsets then sunrises, but every now and then I drag my butt out of bed at some silly hour for something like this...40 Acre Rock Preserve in South Carolina.

2 - Sun sets on the 12 Hours of Sebring sports car race.

3 - Sun - and Moon - set on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Wow! So many great sunrises and sunsets. I can tell I'm going to have problems judging this one. I'm already having problems picking a favorite from each persons three contributions. But that's part of the fun (she said with a tremble in her voice).

Thanks to all who have entered so far. I'm hoping to see even more fire in the sky before this mini closes... which will be in about six days.

~~Barbara
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2020

Wonderful theme! So many awesome entries! Best of luck judging Barbara!

Hunk of Burning Sky

Early Flight

Partial solar eclipse

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins

someone took a bite out of the moon

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2020

Actually that's the setting sun with the moon taking the bite. :) Saw this on my way home from a friend's house, pulled over on the dirt road, got out & took the shot - was very cloudy/blustery!

And this is not an entry, but is the moon during a total lunar eclipse in morning sunlight (hence the purple) - the moon went down behind the horizon during totality, not long after I shot this (through haze on the horizon - shadow in lower right is a tree):

~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • DavidRGillespieDavidRGillespie Registered Users Posts: 819 Many Grins

Just back from Patagonia, Chile and sliding in under the wire! a Patagonian sunrise as the third image

1. Broughton Archipeligo

1. Spring Island, BC

1. sunrise with Volcan Corcovado in profile.

Lillian @lkbart, thanks for three great entries. For anyone still thinking of entering, there are just a few hours left in this mini.

~~Barbara

David @DavidRGillespie glad you got your entries in. This mini is now closed.
    Given how many great shots there are it might take me a day or two to finish comments and sort out the rankings.

~~Barbara