Appalachian heaven

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

I love the look of those fences!

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I'm with you there, Orv. Good to hear from you.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Classic age going on with that wood on those buildings. Nice comp with that shot. Really calming to look at.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

It's always nice to have you visit, David. It is interesting to me that you use the term " calming ". That's exactly the feeling I had as I explored this place. In fact, my spirit is never more relaxed than it is when I'm blessed to be up there in those mountains.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2020

Yeah yeah yeah, I too woke up as soon as I saw it. A wonderful jolt of happiness! Effects your mood positively! No one does greens better! Leading line and all! Rambling here.......fence takes you around wonderfully if you let your eyes follow it!

• Lab_TestedLab_Tested Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins

Very nice, indeed!

edited March 1, 2020

@Stumblebum said:
    Yeah yeah yeah, I too woke up as soon as I saw it. A wonderful jolt of happiness! Effects your mood positively! No one does greens better! Leading line and all! Rambling here.......fence takes you around wonderfully if you let your eyes follow it!

Thanks, Taz. While at the site, I struggled somewhat on how to treat that glorius split-rail fence. It, in itself, is a great subject. After stalking around a bit, I decided to use the fence's strength to lead the viewer into the broader scene. I guess patience is a virtue when we photographers seek to tell a story as best we can.

Take care, my friend.

@Lab_Tested said:
    Very nice, indeed!

Thanks for the visit.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Well done! Yes, calming. Is it really that green?

edited March 2, 2020

@Cornflake said:
    Well done! Yes, calming. Is it really that green?

Hey, Don. Yes, it really is that green. Sometimes, when the new foliage of Spring is breaking out, the greens up there can literally be breathtaking,,,,,even startling.

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins

Nice .. really nice!!

@Dogdots said:
    Nice .. really nice!!

Hi, Lady. Thanks for the comment. I won't forget to grab some shots for you of some old, rickety wooden bridges that I often run across when I'm up there.

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins

@black mamba said:

@Dogdots said:
    Nice .. really nice!!

Hi, Lady. Thanks for the comment. I won't forget to grab some shots for you of some old, rickety wooden bridges that I often run across when I'm up there.

I look forward to seeing the old rickety wooden bridges. They hold stories of journeys traveled.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Love the composition on this one. Although on my monitor the color balance is a little too blue-green.

edited March 12, 2020

It's sure good to hear from you, Sara. My monitor doesn't reflect the color balance you see on yours. The old, weathered wood tends to have a slight blue tint in the gray as an aging process. However, I'm pleased that you like the shot. Take care.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Lovely shot, well balanced. Any chance/opportunity of returning in the fall? Bet this site would look wonderful in the full burst of fall colors. Might make for a nice composite side-by-side display.

Hows that song go....
    "Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye; Country roads, take me home"

You captured it. Love it!

@El Gato said:
    Lovely shot, well balanced. Any chance/opportunity of returning in the fall? Bet this site would look wonderful in the full burst of fall colors. Might make for a nice composite side-by-side display.

Hows that song go....
    "Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye; Country roads, take me home"

You captured it. Love it!

It's good to hear from you. Thanks for commenting. This particular site in not very far from the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. I've blitzed through the valley several times before, but this Fall I plan to spend much more time there. If it's a good year for color ( this past Fall was spectacular ) I do plan to visit this site again......hopefully I can snare a shot worthy of creating the side-by-side you mention. I like your idea.

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Is that your man-cave? Lovely scene, makes me think of nothing but quiet and fresh air.

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

@redleash said:
    Is that your man-cave? Lovely scene, makes me think of nothing but quiet and fresh air.

I tell you, Lauren, I'm afraid of what I might do if I could have a man-cave like that. You can be assured that what this scene makes you think of is exactly what you will get there.

Let me know and I will bring the beverages...

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

@redleash said:
    Let me know and I will bring the beverages...

Now we're talking. I'd truly love to have you scoot over when I'm up there. I could show you some of the Appalachians that locals don't even know about....keep in mind that I've been stomping those grounds for over 35 years.

Black Mamba...

In all seriousness, if you ever decide on a setting up a photo-trek to shoot in this part of the country...I'd make the trip. Always love seeking out and finding, out-of-the-way places, most often always come home with some good shots and always, great experiences. 🙂

@El Gato said:
    Black Mamba...

In all seriousness, if you ever decide on a setting up a photo-trek to shoot in this part of the country...I'd make the trip. Always love seeking out and finding, out-of-the-way places, most often always come home with some good shots and always, great experiences. 🙂

It's interesting that you mention such a gathering of shooters. More than once, I've contemplated trying to structure just such an event for those of our clan that want to experience something like that. Working out the logistics is the challenge. I envision a maximum of 4 folks....any more than that can present complications of various sorts. It's certainly a doable deal....just requires some careful planning to maximize the enjoyment of everyone. Like you, I relish the experience as much as the photos I might take.

Take care,

Tom

" It's interesting that you mention such a gathering of shooters. More than once, I've contemplated trying to structure just such an event for those of our clan that want to experience something like that. Working out the logistics is the challenge. I envision a maximum of 4 folks....any more than that can present complications of various sorts. It's certainly a doable deal....just requires some careful planning to maximize the enjoyment of everyone. Like you, I relish the experience as much as the photos I might take. "

Tom...

Once the current pandemic crisis has been firmly resolved and life, business et. al, resumes, however, the new normal might be, I hope we could revisit this and see if such a meeting, logistics and all, could actually be organized. I would certainly enjoy such a gathering for exactly the same reasons you have stated.

I wish you and your family and everyone as Tom artfully states "in this clan" ongoing good health and strong spirit. Continue to remain vigilant and stay well as we all navigate new norms in the coming months ahead.

Keep smiling! 🙂

Al

Tom, I will take you up on that, and hopefully sooner rather than later. I had a road trip scheduled for April, including a couple stops in eastern NC. I could have added a side trip to the mountains. No idea when I will make the trip but I will let you know.

Cheers, Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

@redleash said:
    Tom, I will take you up on that, and hopefully sooner rather than later. I had a road trip scheduled for April, including a couple stops in eastern NC. I could have added a side trip to the mountains. No idea when I will make the trip but I will let you know.

Cheers, Lauren

Looking ahead, Lauren, I don't see a gathering, like we envision, happening for me the rest of this year. I will be up there for the entire month of October but I'm committed to prior plans during that time. An extended planning period would probably be benneficial anyway for whatever we try to structure. Getting everyone on the same page.....when to hold the gathering, agenda while there, etc.....all have to be considered. It's a worthy goal for us. For the time being, let's keep the idea alive and see what happens.

Let's plan for 2021

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com