Options

NC Barn Part 2

Lab_TestedLab_Tested Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins

When I signed up here, I wasn't aware that the Southern Appalachian Mountains were of such interest to a broader audience. (Thanks @black mamba ) So, I now present the second part in a series of photos from my late mother-in-law's farm in western North Carolina. If the great Appalachian photography get-together should occur in 2021 or later, I'd be happy to travel from Colorado and give a tour.

1) What's behind the door?

2) My wife's wagon from 50+ years ago, and other odds and ends.

3) A wall that is being pushed in by the mountainside.

4) A building that I dare not go in. I'm not even sure what level is anymore.

5) 16" wide timbers used to construct a shed in the 1850s.

6) And awaiting a truly dedicated explorer, the old outhouse still available for use.

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

You have some really good stuff here. I had to laugh at your comment in #4. I defy anyone to show me a picture of any old, dilapidated stuff like I run across that has more than one straight corner edge.....if even that.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

@black mamba #4 isn't even the worst building on the land. Check out the old house over the last few years:

2016:

2018:

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

Ah....my kind of stuff. I am somewhat surprised though. That building looks to be of newer construction. You don't see many " younger " properties that have collapsed so completely. Was there some sort of calamity that beset the place?

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options

It was built during the Depression, most likely very poorly, and sat abandoned for at least 50 years. We could see the roof start to sag slightly several years ago, and then it kept sagging more and more, but there was no dramatic trigger to its demise. It has since been torn down and hauled away.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Very cool!

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Very nice images. What a cool and interesting structure to investigate and photograph. #2, makes one feel like time stood still here.

Thanks for continuing the series and sharing these.

Speaking of the great Appalachian photography get-together (2021 or later) I'd be happy to travel from Missouri.

You know, the more we talk about this, we may just have to make it happen!

• Options

Thank you for your comments @El Gato and @Stumblebum . The series will continue as I curate my collection of photos from the NC location. Currently I'm 1700 miles away in Colorado, and who knows when we'll be free again to roam about the world.