A subject like this....

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited March 30, 2020 in Other Cool Shots

Can produce abstracted images of an entirely different nature when subjected to my carefully concocted rust treatment

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited March 30, 2020

When someone calls an old car a "rust bucket," it is rarely a compliment. But in this case... my compliments to you for finding this one. Excellent.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2020

Thanks much, David. I'm amused at the response I see and hear from folks who see, what I call my " rust art ", for the first time. Obviously, those attracted to abstract art are the most receptive. If they border on being color freaks, that also helps. As you may suspect, every single viewer is incredulous as to the origin of the stuff. One brutally frank, notoriously so, friend said before a small group " I wouldn't let that crap in my house ". :) I will say that the overall reaction is favorable.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Ha! I guess not everyone is a rustophile, much less a rust junkie! I am though, good stuff.

• Lab_TestedLab_Tested Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins

Nice show of the evolution from old vehicle to colorful abstracts. Guess it's time to look back at the few rust bucket photos I have.

• OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins

Very nice. Love the old and neglected and you covered it well. It always makes my try to imagine how cars/ trucks were used.

Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Well done! The peeling paint gives these depth.

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins

Reminds me of the 27 Pontiac roadster project two friends & I did in the 50s; it really moved with a 55 Buick engine in it.

Excellent rust shots

Rags

@Juano said:
    Ha! I guess not everyone is a rustophile, much less a rust junkie! I am though, good stuff.

As a true rust junkie, like you, Cristóbal, I can only stay away from this kind of stuff for a short period. No other kind of photography I do gives me the latitude for self expression that shooting rust does.

@Lab_Tested said:
    Nice show of the evolution from old vehicle to colorful abstracts. Guess it's time to look back at the few rust bucket photos I have.

Be careful, guy. Shooting rust, on a serious level, can really get in yoir blood. Give it a go.

@OrvSal said:
    Very nice. Love the old and neglected and you covered it well. It always makes my try to imagine how cars/ trucks were used.

I hear you, Orv. Just like with the old barns I shoot, I wonder about the stories these old vehicles could tell.

@Cornflake said:
    Well done! The peeling paint gives these depth.

You know, Don, one of the real thrills I get from this type of work is that I never, really never, know how the final image is going to work out. When I start slamming the sliders around, it opens the door to an array of colors that I didn't even know were there.

edited March 31, 2020

@torags said:
    Reminds me of the 27 Pontiac roadster project two friends & I did in the 50s; it really moved with a 55 Buick engine in it.

Excellent rust shots

Don't you, Rags, occasionally long for those kind of days again? I damn sure do. Thanks for the visit.

• willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins

A well taken opportunity for a color junkie

It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

Thanks. As you know, we of that ilk can't let any opportunity slide.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Oh wow, that is how you turn lemons into lemonade!

@Stumblebum said:
    Oh wow, that is how you turn lemons into lemonade!

Well, I have to say that's an analogy I hadn't considered. But what the heck.....it does ring true. Cheers.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

A classic find and a super set of images.

Black mamba...you couldn't have said it better..."Shooting rust, on a serious level, can really get in your blood." 100%!

Must be a genetic switch that makes one seek out the "rust buckets" of the world and skip the new and shinny.

Really enjoy your work!

edited April 1, 2020

Thanks, my friend. I much prefer the " genetic switch " concept you suggest as opposed to my wife's assessment of the deal. She says that, many years ago, I was the victim of a curse that was placed on me while we were in Savannah....a city known to have a gracious number of voodoo practioners. I'm at a loss as to how to deal wtih that one.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2020

Very cool, Tom! It looks familiar...

Hey, John. Yeah. It sits right off the road heading into ( or out of ) Blowing Rock.

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

I've passed those old things a thousand times, always saying "I need to stop and shoot them!" Last November, the Girlfriend and I were driving up to the Parkway and finally did. She had taken some photos with one of her dogs by one of the old pick-ups out there a few years back - we'll have to take the new dog up there one of these days and do the same.